• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Motion decoys for predators.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Last night I had to return a gift to Cabelas in E. Hartford. Needless to say the return was spent and then some. I was by the Bargain Cave and saw a Mojo Crittr moving decoy. I had to buy it. It is basically a wand with some fake fur that twirls intermittently on a motor.

I was wondering if anyone else uses something like it?

bigbore,
We're on the same page bro.
I picked up the same one at E. Hartford last month. Can't wait to try it out and get into calling mode in a couple of weeks.
What calls do you use? I've had good luck with Sceery calls.

Does that brand have a remote control?? Been thinking about getting one to confuse those call shy and wise ole coyotes.

I bought that one last year...only got out with it once trying to call a coyote but it worked and I can see where the motion would get their attention...(although I didn't see any yotes that trip).
I also picked up a 50ft extension cord for the speaker on my caller so I can get the speaker and the motion decoy at least that far away from me next time.

Motion decoys work especially well for coyotes, due to their ability to hold the coyote's attention long enough to get a good shot. Also, the motion confirms the distress call to the coyote(s), as it approaches.

Calling without a decoy can spook a coyote. It would be like hearing someone calling for help and when you walk into the room, there's no one there. It would spook you and you'd leave.

Always set the decoy at an upwind or crosswind position to your calling position. Just in case the coyote circles your set up, before you see it and/or get a shot.

There's a lot to read about this topic on Predator Masters Forums. Some very educational reading, for anyone getting started with motion decoys.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I have not had any luck with predator calls. It seems that I don't have the right techniques down or something.

I did buy a Verminator Syco Tweety to try. I figure something different may work.

This motion decoy doesn't have a remote. You turn it on and it twirls automatically every ten seconds or so. I am willing to see what it will do.

I would think a body could get the same effect with a chunk of fur, a bent up coathanger, and some fishing line. :thumbsup:

I do a bit of calling myself, with a home made digital rig sometimes and mouth calls other times.

I hear they work well, I had a yote come in while deer hunting and it was answering my fawn bleat. First time I didn't have a shot, second time my arrow took care of him. Normally I wouldn't shoot a coyote but this one was about a 100 yards from my house.

B

Well, I got out this morning before the storm moved in and field tested the Mojo Critter decoy.
3 Red-tail hawks,1 owl and a couple of crows swooped at it. :shocked2:
I also glassed a very large coyote coming in too. I was using my .50 Renegade and the dog hung up just out of my range for this rifle. I would have taken the shot with one of my modern rigs, but what fun is that? :grin:
I was impressed with the unit. There's always room for improvement and I think I will fool around with the fur on the whip. Maybe I'll add a few pheasant or turkey feathers or some longer strips of fur.
I'll give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . Cant wait to go back out.

When I hunted predators traditional (muzzle loader, Vous leathers, mouth call) I just used a large feather or three on a string tied to a handy branch out front and upwind of me if I wanted to use a decoy (although they are not necessary). Works very well as a decoy - don't cost anything and the wind power is free too.

This is the predator motion decoy I got from Cabelas last year...

Predatormotiondecoy.jpg

Back