• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mouth Blown Varmit Call

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
How many carry a mouth blown varmit (rabbit) call when hunting deer or turkeys?

I carry a rabbit call and will blow it a couple of times in the morning before leaving my deer blind or a couple of times when getting to the blind in the afternoon. Sometimes I am rewarded and sometimes not.

I have learned that when I do see a coyote that is too far to shoot, that a couple of blows on the call will pull a coyote into range. So far I have not had one not come to the call when I have seen the coyote first.

Thanks

RDE

Always.
I either have a closed reed Sceery or an open reed Psycho Tweety in my pocket. The Tweety is small and fits in a pill container.
Can't shoot dogs during Ct's spring Turkey season due to a fatal accident a few yrs back.

During deer season, I'll usually let a lone dog pass thru. I have all Winter to hunt Coyotes.
Another thing that works is a Squeaker from a pet's toy or simply kissing the back of your hand when they get close.

If you notice, Coyotes are usually going from Point A to Point B in that fast trot. Many times a whistle or yell gets them to put the binders on for a second, enough to get a shot.

I've got an older Weems rabbit call that carry with me and have called in several deer over the years. Usually does or young bucks are what come to the call, curiosity I'm sure. Where I hunt though, a coyote in the area usually means your deer hunt is over. The best you can hope for is that they will push deer in your direction and the deer will be more concerned about the yote than the hunter.

One year I shot a coyote while hunting deer. A short while after, cattle moved into the area and began stomping the coyote carcass to bits. Deer and cattle hold coyotes in the same regards!

I carry a little Lohman Circe, but I haven't used it in a while. Watched a nice pair of coyotes mousing in a field about 200 yards from my stand on Sunday... I let them go on about their business. I'll come visit them in January with my .17 Remington calling rifle.

Back