• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mr. Flintlock’s Lube and Bore Cleaner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone tried Mr. Flintlock’s Patch Lube and bore cleaner? I assume it is not as good as homemade lubes, but how does it compare with other commercial ones? Thanks

Black powder maniac swears by it. Formula has been in contention with another well known now gone lube. Someone will pop in with the name shortly. People love, others not so much.

Black powder maniac swears by it. Formula has been in contention with another well known now gone lube. Someone will pop in with the name shortly. People love, others not so much.
Mr. Flintlock is supposed to be close to the old Lehigh Valley Lube. Never used Mr. Flintlock, but I have had great luck with Lehigh Valley

I use it exclusively, it's really slick and cleans well also. The now gone competitor was Lehigh Valley Lube.

yes, the BP. MANIC SHOOTER swears by it! just watch any of his videos!

I have a bottle of it. Don’t know what’s in it. Don’t consider it to be anything more special than anything else. It’s ok tho. Greg

I bought a couple of bottles of it to try out, haven't used it much yet. My favorite, old standby was Hoppes 9 black powder patch lube and bore cleaner. I don't think it is available anymore and the last l tried to order was not the same, much thinner and not at all suitable for a patch lube, in my opinion. So far what I have used of the Mr. Flintlock , seemed to work ok but doesn't seem to load as easily as the old Hoppes. I am not done trying it yet, we will see how it works out after some more shooting.

Here we go with "Ah makes ma own outta moose milk, tequila, 3 leaves from a eucalyptus tree cut at dawn on the equinox (Make sure that they're facing south) and 3 drops of unicorn sperm" Etc. Etc. Etc. The answer is try it yourself. There are lots of things to try. Experiment. There is no silver bullet.

Mark is a great guy. He shoots a lot. Maybe listen to his thoughts.

I have to wonder how important it is to use the same thing for both patch lube and bore cleaner. I guess I get that if you're out roaming the wilderness ... maybe. But even then I'm skeptical that in general a cleaner can be expected to be as good a lube as a lube, or that a lube can be expected to as good a cleaner as a cleaner. I use a mixture of olive oil and Simple Green for my .32 Crockett rifle lube (which has something of a tendency to foul, as many small calibers do), and it works absolutely great to virtually eliminate any fouling. But I sure wouldn't use that as a cleaner -- although I do use Simple Green (in water, but without olive oil!) as my basic cleaner. And I would use Simple Green by itself as my lube except it tends to dry out quickly without the olive oil.

But in general, the expectation of using one thing as both your lube and your cleaner doesn't strike me as an inviolable goal to adopt.

I ran out of my own "moose milk*" at a big shoot a few years ago, so I walked down the line where Mr. Flintlock himself was shooting, and bought a bottle. Used it to swab between shots; on damp, one dry as usual. Worked just like my own moose milk, but smelled different. I clean with hot water and a dash of Dawn, so I did not use it to clean. I still have most of the bottle left, as I went back to my own concoction after the shoot.

ADK Bigfoot

*NAPA cutting oil, water, and a touch of Murphy's oil soap; exact proportions kept in a coded message in a locked cabinet.

After watching BPMS video I bought a bottle of Mr. Flintlock lube. For me anyhow...it works great. I have been able to go from a hard loading .015 to an easy load .018 patch by using Mr. Flintlock on the path. Accuracy has improved ... but only slightly and only with 3 of my Rifles. Have to be very careful applying it to the patch as it comes out of the bottle too fast... although that could be me!. Anyway.. I like the stuff but I will still use Mink oil on my hunting patches.... my most accurate loads.

Yes, the only way to know for sure is to try it, although there is some merit in asking the opinion of your peers. That, at least, will give you an idea. That's what many threads here are about.

Yes, the only way to know for sure is to try it, although there is some merit in asking the opinion of your peers. That, at least, will give you an idea. That's what many threads here are about.
Often what is left out of those opinions is the specific gun that the peer is using, the caliber, type of powder used (real black or a synthetic), etc. as well as the type of shooting being done (hunting, intensive target shooting, etc.). So information like "Works for me." or "It was okay," or "I didn't like it." end up not being of any value at all. But I guess that's all part of the social media experience. 😂:rolleyes:

I generally use the Ballistol and water dry lube Dutch Schoultz system, but I swab between shots with homemade moose milk. I find swabbing absolutely necessary with dry lubed patches. When I CANT swab between shots, I use Mr Flintlocks, because you don't really need to. It's good stuff.

Latest posts

Back