• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mr Flintlock's patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried George's "Mr Flintlock" patch
lube and bore cleaner?

I have just completed my second round of using the stuff and am very impressed. I understand it is almost the same formula as the old Lehigh Valley lube,which I never tried.

Used with regular ol' pillow ticking and fff Goex,bore stayed noticeably cleaner and my POI didn't change at all.

Ran a soaked patch through the bore when done shooting and followed up with my usual cleaning routine when I got back to the gun room (140 yards from my gun range).

Stored gun with my usual Ballistol soaked patch through the bore and still shiny after a few days on the wall.

Anyone tried it in freezing weather? As in hunting conditions?

Hope this hasn't been beat to death already, but I couldn't find it in a search.

http://mrflintlock.com/

As I understand it, George got the old formula from the origional maker of Lehigh Valley lube and reintroduced it.

Wish I was smart enough to post a picture, but the link above tells it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve also heard great things about it, especially in colder weather. Since I live a few miles from Canada (and it’s usually cold during hunting season), I’m going to give it a try.

I use it and both of the guys I shoot with use it. It works great and I just ordered 3 more bottles. I was using the Hoppes Black Powder lube and I like it as well but I like the Mr Flintlocks a little better because its not as thick as the Hoppes.

I have been using it for three years maybe four. Almost entirely with Pyrodex. I shoot in matches with26 shots and shoot the whole thing without any cleaning. This gives me time to score targets From the second shot to the 26th ,loads the same. I don't know if it's the best but I have stopped looking. I can't claim it works that good with Black MZ or 777.Have problems with tight spots using them.Perhaps some other lube is called for .

I like home made lubes. One of the great things is we find something that works it works great.
lots of folks seem to be very happy with the product

I am on my last bottle of Lehigh Valley Lube, the original. I am up in the Pocono's and it used to get downright cold in deer season. I never had trouble with my lube freezing. Conversely never had it run on me in the summer. If this is the same as LVL I will buy 1 bottle to try, and probably stock up on it.

Got some Mr Flintlock patch lube and bore cleaner on trade. Found it to be very comparable performance wise to products like Hoppe’s 9 Plus and generic blue windshield wiper fluid. For hunting in warm, cool or cold (below freezing) weather, TOW mink oil still seems to be the best in my experience.

I have used Mr Flintlock for 5+ years and won't switch. Competitivly I use Teflon patching and put a spot of Mr Flintlock on it. Makes loading tight loads a breeze and clean up simple and quick. No comparison to Hopper #9 or windshield washer fluid, like night and day on almost any patch material. Buy the big bottle, cheaper.

It's just a liquid patch lube and is used the same as any other lube or cleaning solvent. I put it on pillow ticking lightly and then cut the ticking at the muzzle before loading and shooting. It really does shoot good and tends to clean the bore as it shoots, so you'll have minimal, if any fouling.

I have used it. It’s a good product, no question. It’s hard on your rifle finish if you get sloppy. Shoot all day without wiping if that’s your choice. If you ever cross trails with George Sutton ( Mr. Flintlock) you’ll find him a fine, personable fellow. Easy to talk to and willing to help if your having issues with your shooting.

I just returned from the range where I conducted a test of Mr. Flintlock's patch lube and cleaner. By was of background, I have had some in my shooting box since a shoot in Maine a few years ago. I had run out of my homemade Moose Milk that I use for cleaning, so I bought a bottle from THE MAN himself. It did a fine job as a cleaner. Ditto those who find George Sutton a most agreeable fellow.

But I never used the product except for cleaning. Today I shot the following test:

Ten shots per target. Range 50 yards. Bench rested. 65 degrees, low humidity, no wind.

All shots Goex 70 grains (pre-weighed). Blue and White Joann's Fabric pillow ticking, .015. Home cast .490 round balls from a Lyman 4-cavity mold. Weight sorted to +/- 2 grains.

Left Handed TVM Early Virginia rifle with 36" barrel. Primed with Swiss Null B. New flint. Short starter followed by range rod for loading. Pan, flint, and frizzed wiped between shots.

First ten shots were with Mr. Flintlock Patch Lube and Cleaner. Fresh patches, lubed at the bench, loaded and fired. Fired all ten shots without cleaning/whiping between shots. No ignition issues, easy reloading through all ten shots. Felt like I could have continued all day without having to clean/wipe between shots. Group at 50 yards was 4" wide and 8 inches deep, showing vertical stringing.

Rifle cleaned and we start over.

Second ten shots were with Thompson Center Bore Butter. Lube was pre-applied by hand to each patch, warmed, excess squeezed out, stored in a ziplock bag. (Patches were lubed one week ago to freshly cut patches.) Bore was wiped/cleaned as follows: Shoot, damp patch, dry patch, load. This is my normal match shooting routine. No ignition issues, easy loading for all ten shots. (One attempt to load a second shot without wiping was very difficult to load--I would not want to do it with my ram rod.) Group at 50 yards was 3" wide and two inches high, with seven shots touching. This is normal for this rifle with this load.

Only difference between the loads were patch lube and cleaning/wiping. Some day I will repeat with a different load. For now, I will keep with my Shoot, damp patch, dry patch, load, Shoot....routine. (When hunting, I carry a small tin with five damp and five dry patches along with five pre-measured loads and a small loading block with five lubed, patched round balls. I have reloaded in the field, but never have I needed a second shot.)

I would like to hear if others have done similar head-to-head testing.

ADK Bigfoot

Interesting test, ADK Bigfoot. I've used many different patch lubes but have never come across Mr. Flintlock as of yet. I've never really tried making my own lube but have simply mixed two ingredients on occasion just to see what would happen. For a long time my lube of choice has been Hoppes. I can shoot all day with it and the reloads are easy with the wood ramrod. My other favorite is TOW mink oil and that's what I use in the bush for deer.

I know different lubes can have an affect on accuracy; I just can't shoot well enough anymore to tell that difference. I hope to hear more testing results.
PICT0593-1.jpg

if youre hunting for a couple hours, it would be ok as a hunting patch lube. Any longer than that and you're bound be to shooting a dry patch.

Back