• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mule Deer and flintlock kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
CaroleBucks.jpg

Now that I have your attention. There were seven bucks in this herd that Carl saw on his way to his muzzleloader hunt on Diamond Mountain last month. Carole took this photo out the truck window but only got six of them in the photo. They were about 200 yards off the road. Today we drove up there to look around, and used a range finder to determine how far away Carl killed his buck, which was about a mile east of these.

Carldeer.jpg

They saw deer moving out of a field into the brush and got above them in a draw. This buck was heading uphill and Carl shot him with his .50 flintlock I built for him. He used 80 grains of Goex 3F and a roundball at about 1700 fps. The buck was walking straight away and Carl held on the base of his skull, but the ball dropped about a foot (from his 100 yard zero) and hit the buck two inches right of the anus and penetrated about two feet of body, stopping against the hide on the lower left front. It did not hit any bone and the buck walked into the heavy brush and laid down. They waited for him to bleed out and so did not have to do any chasing or tracking. Carl said the ball was barely deformed, still round. We used an optical rangefinder to measure the distance of that shot. It was 160 yards.

That is one nice mulie and a he!! of a long shot.
Gorgeous rifle as well! Congrats all the way around.

That's outstanding...congratulations to all!

( What did you do...airbrush all the trees out of the picture :grin: )

Karl sends danke schoen. He said that seventh buck is at the left edge with his head down. (My great grandfather, Karl, was born at Schmoelz. I visited there in 1980).

Latest posts

Back