• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mule Deer Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
If I draw my tag I will be mule deer hunting in the late rifle season in the plains. I applied for a buck tag. My shots will be out there probably no closer than 80yds but more like 100yds. I will have to practice a lot at 100yds. Any tips at far distances with iron sights? I will probably use my 58cal with a roundball and 120gr FFG unless you guys have any other ideas. I also have a 54cal.

I would recommend using the .54 caliber rifle rather than the .58 if you really think you are going to be shooting at 100 yards or beyond. The .54 will take any mule deer easily.

Sights that won't give you problems in the bright sun, cross sticks and lots of practice. If your gun shoots well you should be able to take your mule deer out to 100 yards or more once you do the practice. .54 or .58 just fine IMO.

A 90gr to 120 gr load in a .54....dead on at 25 yards will be 2" high at 50 and back to dead on at 100 yards then 7-ish low at 125. rule of thumb.
Get sighted in and then practice in "hunting situations" untill ready. I shoot off hunting sticks AFTER Im sighted in (Or off hand, sitting down, leaning agenst a post/tree, etc). ANYWAY practice how you will hunt.
Shoot ALOT. Know your gun. Be comfortable in your abilities and keep yer range finder close. There is a BIG differance between 80, 120, and 150 yards and yet when a big old Muley steps out sometimes it seems closer then it really is.
Good luck drawing...Im waiting for my draw in Oregon myself. :thumbsup:

Based on my limited experience with long shots on game using a 54 PRB (one shot at 94 yards), make sure your practice includes plenty of uphill and downhill shooting. Added to the growing rainbow in your trajectory, shooting on anything but flat ground is going to really change your POI at longer ranges.

Oh yeah. I missed on my shot, even though the rifle was right on at 100 and I was shooting from a good rest. Go figure, cuzz I sure didn't.

Sharp Shooter,

Where are you planning to hunt? What part of which state? Some of it is flat as a table, and some of it is rolling, and some of it is just danged steep.

If you know what county you would be hunting, I can pretty well give you the local terrain. If you hunt with me, the terrain is very steep, and some of your shots could be at 125 yards and 60 degrees up or down. Hopefully, you have somewhere that you can practice those shots. There is a formula out there somewhere for figuring your vertical deviation.

Typically your bullet will strike above the line of sight on an angled shot. But that is only out to where your bullet drop overtakes your vertical deviation........makes it sound complicated doesnt it? My .30-06 will shoot as much as 4" high out to about 225 yards on a steep uphill shot. However, at 300 yards, the bullet drop overtakes it and it is again dead on. I have a chart that shows that, but I dont know have a scanner to steal it out of this sniper book.

Where are you planning to hunt? If it is flat or rolling country, then you dont have anything to fret anyway. .54 with PRB takes them down like a hammer if you hit them properly. Your .54 will give you range advantage also in that it is flatter shooting than the 58. History writers have said that the .53/.54 was selected because it is the optimum caliber for mass and distance.

Way back when I hunted big game with muzzle loaders I used a 50 for mule deer and a 54 for elk. They worked fine.

I am hunting in unit 87. For all I know I think it is flat for the most part where I will be.

My 58cal with a roundball and 120gr FFg will be fine as far as trajectory I think. Do you guys think I should take my 54cal though? It will probably be flatter which might help. Im not sure. What do you think?

I think we can get within 100yds. I really dont want to take a shot over that.

Sharp Shooter, man you really need to take a deep breath and stop over thinking things. You know where both guns are shooting out to 100 yards? Then either is fine. You said, "I think we can get within 100yds. I really dont want to take a shot over that. ", If your not going to let yourself shoot beyond that then pick either gun and go have some fun hunting.

Unit 87 is in Weld and Larimer counties north of Greeley. That is all grasslands there. Rolling sandhills. The tallest thing out there other than an occasional telephone pole is gonna be a knee-high yucca.

I'd say that you'd be lucky to get a 100 yard shot there unless you can find a stock tank and put a salt block out by it, then set yourself up a blind and wait for them to come in for water.

Apparently you are hunting with someone that knows that area. Scout it good, you might find a milo or corn field that they are feeding on and be able to get up in a shooting position there. Otherwise you might have to disguise yourself as a yucca plant and pass gas that smells like a sage brush.

In the meantime plan on putting a couple pounds of powder through your rifle so that when the shot comes, you dont clinch with buck fever. Go get you a case of clay pigeons. When you can consistently break them at 100 yards, you are ready to go.

Remember--most likely, the shot you get will be out of a cold clean barrel.

My 58cal with a roundball and 120gr FFg will be fine as far as trajectory I think. Do you guys think I should take my 54cal though? It will probably be flatter which might help. Im not sure. What do you think?

The idea that the .54 is flatter shooting is based on the fact that most guys are shooting their .54s at higher velocities than 58s. When shot at equal velocity, the .58 is a tiny fractional hair flatter than the .54.

:shocked2: 87 is Pawnee Ntl grassland! I'd say thats a purty darned flat area to hunt! lol.

Take both. I always take 2 or 3 muzzleloaders huntin and switch out every other day.

Im using .54 GPR on elk if a get a tag.

I have been out in area 87 a few times and it is just plat prarie so thats good for shooting but not for stocking. I wond have to spend the night out there I will just come home every day since the drive wont be any longer than an hour.

Be sure to get the dept of agriculture map of the grasslands cause they are not one big chunk like on the standard road maps, etc. Much of it is a checkerboard of public and private.

A GPS would be handy to figure exactly where you are out there.

It's not all flat and grass, there are a lot of rock formations there to, the Pawnee butte being only one of them. Once while poking around there in July during the heat of the day I caught a mulie doe tucked back in a wide shallow cave napping out of the sun.

Once you have the good maps, check the watercourses. Most of them are intermittant but still there is pretty good cover there compared to the flat grassy areas.

The secret to stalking in grasslands, is to look like predators in grassland. Coyotes are normally seen, and ignored by both deer and elk. Get your butt down, and crawl, or run in short stretches in a crouch. Glass areas ahead to find game trails. Stick to them to move through the grass.

Think about how much " thumping " your boots are making as you move, as both deer and Elk " hear " through their feet. If there isn't cacti, or any other kind of stickers, wearing moccasins for stalking can be a very smart idea.

By sticking to the game trails, you are more likely to be dismissed as another animal, than cause concern as " People ", when you move. You are stalking in their back yard. Assume they(game) know it as well as you know the one you mow at home every week! NO?

Hunt the watercourses, and draws, most of which will not appear on any but an aerial map. Check with the county Supervisor of Assessment's office, to see if it has such maps, and if you can get copies. Sometimes, you have to go to the survey company that took the pictures to get copies, but a copy of such a map can be invaluable when planning hunting sights. Anyone who thinks prairie flatlands are really flat has not tried to walk in a straight line across them for a mile or two. Obviously, you will need to spend a lot of time scouting the area pre-season, and become familiar with places game like to stay.

I live and hunt flat lands here in Illinois. The deer are well known to find a shallow draw, or ravine, with lots of grass in them, to bed down in, just out of sight of anything and anyone driving by. But they can look through the tops of grass stems, they can feel the footsteps of animals that might be coming close to them, and best of all, they are down out of the wind, so that their ears give them maximum benefit in hearing danger approach.

One deer season, when Our entire hunting party was skunked hunting an adjoining farm, the next door neighbor later told us that he could see a draw or swale from his upstairs back window, not 1/4" mile from where we were all hunting the woods. This swale held 22 bucks with visible antlers, and more deer without, and they never moved all day long. We didn't have permission to hunt his ground, and those who did never showed up to hunt. Since we never scouted his farm, we had no idea that the deer were using that swale as a daybed.

A friend, now dead, hunted his family's farm and spent considerable time scouting the farm before season. He found that the deer crossed the farm following a hedge row of trees, at first light. On opening day, before daylight, he crawled down a row of cornstalks a half mile to get into position to shoot a huge buck as it walked past him. He took a position on his stomach ( on a tarp he took with him) between corn row stubble, upwind of the deer, and they never knew he was there. That buck became a full head and shoulder mount in his office.

That's what you can expect hunting grasslands, and flatlands. Best of luck with your hunt this Fall. :hatsoff:

Actually, the dept of agriculture (national forest service) map of the grasslands would be much simpler to use and would show all the things that the other maps you mention (if they are available) would show.

You mention some useful tactics but most of them would be more oriented to hunting whitetails than mulies.

marmotslayer said:
The idea that the .54 is flatter shooting is based on the fact that most guys are shooting their .54s at higher velocities than 58s. When shot at equal velocity, the .58 is a tiny fractional hair flatter than the .54.

The larger ball is also a little more resistant to wind. That can be a big help at longer distances.

Back