• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

musket spark?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hocuspocus

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The odd time the PH musket will delay fire. Next shot may be fine and doing nothing different.It throws the shot when that happens. So for hunting to avoid boo boos has anyone ever unscrewed the nipple and placed 3-4 granules of powder under it just to make sure of fire all the way through

A guy i work with does that. But they do make a nipple primer, so you can load the nipple also.

I have done that. First deer I ever shot in 83, before I left the camp I put some under the nipple of my TC Hawken that had been loaded on Wed and this was Sat morning, noon shot a 7pt buck. This was my first BP gun. Been shooting them ever since. I got the gun in 82. Dilly

The larger question might be why your Enfield does its odd-time delay. My two guesses would be residue in the flame channel, or too much powder-contaminating oil, cleaning fluids, etc., left in the breech. Dunno. They ain't supposed to do that! :cursing:

So for hunting to avoid boo boos has anyone ever unscrewed the nipple and placed 3-4 granules of powder under it just to make sure of fire all the way through

Every time I ever hunted with a percussion gun I did this. Never experienced a miss fire in a hunting situation either.

ord sgt said:
What brand of musket cap are you using? Might be the odd cap that is under powered. I don't have any problems with Navy Arms winged musket caps.

CCI, thats all we get here in canukistan

Latest posts

Back