• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle-Loading Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In a park near me is a brass muzzle-loading Cannon. It has the cipher for GR (Georgius Rex) on it. Around the base is an inscription.

All I can see is "W Bowen Fecit 1775"

I presume the name Bowen was the Foundry which made it. I checked the net and found a site for cannons in Historical Parks of Canada. They have a picture of a similar piece. Above the cipher for King George is a Latin Inscription, nearly illegible in my cannon, which translates "One out of three" The Canadian Site stated it was produced during the reign of George II, and the Latin inscription may have been a personal motto, or a motto of the Foundry which cast it. As the peice was cast between King George's War and the French and Indian War, I guess that makes sense.

Any cannon officianados out there who know anything about this Bowen Foundry??

The only thing I could find was this reference to the cannon you discribed.

"Near this group is a cannon, by the premature discharge of which, in 1817, a cadet named Lowe was killed. There is a beautiful monument erected to his memory in the cemetery of the institution. I observed several long French cannons, inscribed with various dates; and among others, two brass field-pieces, of British manufacture, bearing the monogram of the king, "G. R.," and the inscription "W. Bowen, fecit, 1755." These were presented to General Greene by order of Congress, as an inscription among the military emblems avers."

Here is the link that I found this from.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~wcarr1/Lossing1/Chap30.html

Latest posts

Back