• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader hunting in Great Britain?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
I understand that muzzleloaders are (falsely) deemed too anemic for stalking deer in England proper (and therefore banned), but what about the rest of the British Isles -- Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Ireland proper? Are there no opportunities for the British black powder enthusiast to hunt big game with traditional muzzleloaders without a trip to the EU or here?

It makes me sad for my Anglo brethren that they cannot participate in a manor of taking game that has been employed since returning Crusaders first brought black gunpowder to the Islands 600 years ago. Seeing as how most Brits are such sticklers for tradition, it would seem logical that this most traditional method of hunting would be welcome in jolly old England.

Having stalked hill stags in the Scottish Highlands (with a .308), I can tell you that doing so with a flintlock would be a hoot!

I understand they have energy requirements that are hard to get in ml
If so, I guess they should compare notes with places like Hungary. They have energy requirements that fit within muzzleloader capabilities and via Cap and Ball's videos, we know they work!

Will be waiting for our brethren from the Isle to comment....

Stalking on the hill is a totally different ball game to deer stalking in woods , it is not uncommon to crawl on your belly for several hundred yards sometimes nearly a mile to get close enough for a shot with a modern rifle
Feltwad

We live in a land of fools and experts running the show. A land of the not so free because we dont think you should do that mind set.

I have stalked on the hill and often was within a muzzleloaders capabilities.
I've stalked in woodland and been within archery tackle distances.

The experts think our deer have an invisible force field around them and what is required to over come it is a huge mathematical equation!

One of the main objection to a muzzle loading s/b rifle is it only one shot but in the percussion period that's what was used has these guns came in deer stalking calibres .I have worked on several of these percussion rifles in both s/b and d/b. With the introduction the excuse of the modern rifle with a magazine and a telescopic sight make it a more positive kill
Personally I can not see any difference of using a muzzle loading deer rifle on the hill now to the days when they were used it is a law made by some who have never used a muzzle loading deer rifle on the hill. But like most laws on shooting that have come into force off late we have no other option but abide with them .
Feltwad
100_3203.JPG

Last edited:
I think when the laws were drawn up i didn't cross their minds that anyone would use a muzzle loader. and were aimed at the sort who would go after deer with under powered cartridges, (min diameter .240" and muzzle energy over 1700 foot pounds for larger than muntjac or chinese water deer) which is possible but persuading the local firearms dept to add the permission to your license isn't going to happen.
As I understand it archery hunting was banned due to poaching problems after the war.
PS like the Rifle bet it wouldn't have any trouble dropping a red.

I think when the laws were drawn up i didn't cross their minds that anyone would use a muzzle loader. and were aimed at the sort who would go after deer with under powered cartridges, (min diameter .240" and muzzle energy over 1700 foot pounds for larger than muntjac or chinese water deer) which is possible but persuading the local firearms dept to add the permission to your license isn't going to happen.
As I understand it archery hunting was banned due to poaching problems after the war.
PS like the Rifle bet it wouldn't have any trouble dropping a red.
Banning things usually doesn't stop something from happening.
Poaching continues.

Has the muzzle loading rifle and pistol are associated to shooting on a range the shotgun is the most used for game. Has the UK has one of the best examples of game shooting for its size in the world with well kept sporting estates there are many variety's of sporting game both wild and reared which soon become almost wild. The driven pheasant and partridge days and the fast flying red grouse are more suited to the breech loader but the walk up days with gundogs or shooting over pointers and setters is really where the muzzle loading flintlock or percussion guns come into their own .One must not forget the clay shoots run by muzzle loading clubs including those by the MLAGB with the sporting layouts and also the skeet layout are well attended at the clubs
One thing I must express in the UK we shoot game to hunt needs a horse and a pack of hounds but that became illegal a couple of decades ago which makes one wonder how long game shooting in the UK will last
Feltwad
Notice the butts on a driven grouse moor
P1010008.JPG

Last edited:
It is a geography- land mass issue. The English have less available land to hunt and
continued immigration leading to overcrowding. Soon if America doesn't watch
out we will have overcrowding here as well. Along with higher populations generally
come higher populations of nut-cases who abuse freedoms and regulations follow.
I lived in London years back(Bethnal Green & Tower Hamlets) and it was not that
bad. Today my friends relate that London is no longer easy to recognize as being
British. Many parts are no-go zones and english is spoken with reluctance.

Back