• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader hunts in Canada?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to querry the board as to some information on hunting in the land of the Great White North.

I will admit that I surf the net and daydream alot but I still like to think that I am able to go to some more exotic locale one day.

Anyways.What are some special hunts that Canada offers? I remember reading on the net that some parts of Ontario, specifically some penninsula, has some muzzleloading only areas.

Anyone care to add some information? Thanks

Here in Nova Scotia we have an early Muzzleloader only hunt.It takes place in 2 special areas,one being the Tobeatic Wildlife manegement area and the other in the Liscomb Game Sanctuary.You can take whatever species you are licenced for.Deer/Bear and Small game/Ducks.
It's not a bad chance to hunt but here's the[url] sticker.In[/url] the Tobeatic now the remote area now has been designated a "Protected area" and expanded to way outside the original area.That means those that have Camps/ Crown Leases were bought out and the camps destroyed and access is no longer allowed in that area by any other means other than foot.This is all but impossible.So the Muzzleloading stamp for that area is a Joke.It's noones fault but our own cause interest for that hunt was only for a handfull of hunters each year,the interest wasen't there.The liscomb is a different ball of wax,You are allowed Moterized vehicles in this area anywhere you want to travell.So that gives you access to the most remote parts of the sanctuary.Once you get in the woods from the main drag you will find large Clear cuts,some as big as a couple of miles wide to a couple of miles[url] long.In[/url] my mind just a bit out of my range for a patched round ball.
Anyway,
Probably not all that helpfull to ya but it's information.Someday I am going to Anticosti Island with my muzzleloader to hunt deer for a week.It's something I always wanted to do.
Anticosti

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you thinking of coming up to hunt on your own, or looking for an outfitter/lodge?

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I can definitely help with info about Ontario. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a specific peninsula here in Ontario for ML.:hmm: I know Manitoulin Island (in Georgian Bay... you can drive to it) is a great area, but so is most of Southwern Ontario these days. There are several areas in Ontario offering ML/archery only seasons, many of which include opportunities for non-resident hunters. There are some great hunting opportunities for ML only in the controlled draw hunts, but unfortunately for you they are not open to non-residents.

You can look at the Ontario hunting regulations at these links...

Link to regulations here (scroll down to page 7/15 to look at chart of WMU's that offer ML/archery only seasons for non-residents):
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/hunting/huntRegs/2007/hr_2007_deer.pdf

Link to Wildlife Management Units (WMU's) here so you can follow up on locating areas with the season you are looking for:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/hunting/huntRegs/2007/hr_2007_Maps.pdf

Halftail... Anticosti is on my list too. Although not in Ontario, Anticosti Island would be an excellent place to look into for a trip. Anticosti is an island at the mouth of the St. Lawrence River and it is part of the Province of Quebec. One drawback is you can't drive there (not sure if within driving distance was a criteria for you bigbore?). I think you need to go with an outfitter. Anticosti is not known for big bucks, but the deer population density is very high.

I've hunted Ontario, from Wawa to White River, with my flintlock. It was during bear season, where you'd need a guide service. Haven't hunted moose. Not sure of any muzzleloader only seasons and the regulation book is at the cottage :( . It's some beautiful country, scenery, and wilderness, though. If you get a chance, go! It depends on what you want to hunt, but it's not the "competition" of hunting in a c-fire season with a front stuffer. The area is just too large for that.

Baron,
I see that the prices for an Anticosti hunt is quite reasonable now.You can get almost a full wee for under $2000.00 Canadian.Not bad.Someday soon.......

There are two zones for Traditional ML for moose in Ont. 7A and 18B. Both are in NW Ont and are pretty remote. You would also require a guide service of some sort.

Back