• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorren68

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When does the muzzleloader season open in your state? Here in Georgia our archery season opened on the 8th of September and our ML season opens in October, then Rifle season opens a week later and in the northern zone runs till Jan 1st.

Our ML deer season doesn't open until November 26 and runs until early February.

We can hunt limb bacon and bunnies with smoothbores starting September 29.

Here in GA Squirrel season opens August 15 and runs till Feb 28. Legal weapons are any rimfire .22 or smaller, bows, crossbows, and any muzzleloading firearm, plus we can use air rifles. We can hunt deer during the regular firearms season with any legal deer weapon(bows,crossbows,Muzzleloaders .44 cal or larger and ml shotguns 20ga or larger and any modern center fire .22 cal or larger.

To folks not familiar with Georgia it can get confusing due to different regulations and season dates between public and private land.

Kentucky has just one weekend in October on the 20th and 21st. Then a week in December(8-16) with modern gun in between. Its a bummer there isn't a week in Oct as that is my favorite time to hunt, but I understand their logic as ML season has basically turned into an early modern gun with all the inlines out there. Too bad there are no "primitive weapons only" statewide hunts. I assume they don't do this since it would be unenforceable.

Manitoba has 7 distinct deer zones with many similarities & some differences in deer season. My area (most of southern MB) is Archery Sept3-Nov 11, Youth muzzleloader Oct 22-Nov 11, Muzzleloader is Oct 29-Nov 11, General rifle is Nov 12-25. We're usually in to winter by then.
Moose is similarly divided. For me it's Sept 17-Oct14. I usually hunt 3rd week, so the 29th is when I'm headed out.
Many areas have been closed to moose hunting because of low populations due to legalized extirpation by NDNs. It's quite a controvercial subject so I won't say more on an open forum.
Paul

For my zone in Arkansas Oct 20th. Runs 9 days.

*Edit*
Thanks for the post, it had me visit the AGFC website and I see theres some changes to muzzle loading pistols this year. A needed change but not quite enough yet.

September 29- October 7 in the zone I live in.

Not looking like I will be able to take advantage of it though.
:(

I will try to get in on the regular season from October 13-21 and use one of my muzzel loaders. I won't bother with the late season as my neighbors will be out there. They are nice guys so I am not going to compete with them. I'll get meat from them so it is all good.

December 10th to 18th in the NYS Southern Zone (we share it with late bowhunting).

October 13-19 and Dec 3-9 in the Northern Zone.

But we can use muzzleloaders in the regular season as well (the only legal rifle hereabouts so that is what I use).

We have a very generous deer season down here in Ala. Nov.12th to the 16th for muzzleloader, then Nov.17 to Jan.31 for regular gun season. But I hunt with my muzzleloader all season. :thumbsup:

I am from a little place called Oak Level in Cleburn county Alabama. I got my start hunting small game as a kid in Alabama, then slowly progressed to deer after we moved across the state line to Georgia. I have lived off and on in either Alabama or Georgia my whole life.

Here in Nebraska ML season runs Dec 1 thru Dec 31.Center fire rifle runs nov 10 thru the 21, and late rifle Dec 26 thru jan 18.

In Wisconsin the ML season is 10 days after the reg gun season. Wish they had not done away with our early anterless season in Oct. That was a nice (warm) time to get meat with my muzzle loader.

After reading some of the posts on this thread, I am kinda glad I live in a state with very liberal seasons (NOT a knock on any other state!) We are allowed 12 deer only 2 can be antlered, and one of the 2 must have 4 points on a side. If you add in state park, and WMA hunts you have the opportunity to take in excess of 15+ deer per year.

That is the main thing I miss about Ga and that is the great deer hunting. I got to enjoy it for 6 decades, however.

In Minnesota the ML only season (bow season is still on) starts the Sat after Thanksgiving and runs 2 full weeks (3 week ends). One can also use a muzzleloader during the regular gun season which varies by zone, but I think the shortest of them is 9 days....16 days in the NE..those are in November.

No m/l season in ALberta - just bow and gun. There are a couple of local-area special late anything-but-a-rifle seasons in otherwise bow-only areas surrounding cities.

Regards,
Joel

Back