• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzleloading antelope

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62flint

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had the itch to get me a pronghorn now for....well an while. I was thinking about taking a trip out west,to get me one. Any one on here live out that away's and can offer any advise it would be appreciated.
I am thinking montana. I know wyoming carries a good herd to. I am not opposed to a guided or semi-guided hunt. Long as they don't hold my hand to tightly.
My old 45 is in the corner whimpering like a lab in a duck blind. I think she is ready to. :wink:
Thanks

I went out to Wyoming in 88' on a guided hunt and loved every minute of it. If you get a chance to go, go! :thumbsup:

My dad and his buddies chase the prong horn out in western Nebraska. From the stories I have been told, bring a lot of patience and kneepads. They've had to stalk for upwards of 500 yards in sparse vegetation while carrying tumbleweeds to look like bushes. And once they start to run you might as well not waste a shot. But that is hearsay, others mileage may vary. OBTW, they use high power cf and usually stop about 100 to 150 yards away, but if you are quite enough and the wind is in your favor you could probably get within BP range.

I am not opposed to a do it yourself hunt. I was just concerned about the time I would need to scout a area. I have my own camp if need be.

New Mexico is covered in speed goats. Farmers and ranchers complain about them all the time. But, if you want to shoot one, they suddenly become $2500 valuable. It is a racket down here.

62flint, Doing a out of state hunt is a scarry thing to think about when you are doing it your self. A guy needs to have an insider. I can help and as these guys are my witness, I won't charge you anything. I am not a guide or a outfitter. I seem to have the worst luck getting the tag.
In Idaho you have to draw a tag. Don't worry about scouting. In one afternoon I could show you where to go and how to find them. Also where to camp.
While out of state hunts are not cheep, I can say this one would be a great way to start. After you hunt antelope you might be back for deer or elk. PM me. Ron

When Jack Garner was building my first flinter about 18 years ago he told me he'd been out West the last fall and taken a pronghorn with his .50 TN longrifle. Flinter too as I recall.

-Ray

I grew up in and live in Eastern Montana. If you ever want to chase the speed goats, shoot me a PM. I'm sure I can point you in the right direction even if I can't show you around, which I'd be happy to do schedules allowing.

Utah has some nice antelope. I hunted two or three times in Wyoming and saw hundreds of antelope there. When I moved from here to Denver, I got a non-resident license from Utah, which was easy to do and not as expensive as other states. These antelope are not harassed, as they seemed to be in Wyoming, and they are easy to hunt and get within blackpowder range. There are some nice bucks here, and some are really big (I have a 15 1/2" from Wyoming and two 14" from here, and one from North Dakota, so I know big bucks). If you are interested, PM me and I can tell you how to get regs and applications. No guide needed, no cost except trip and license.

Here's my last buck, killed with my .54 Green River Leman.
antelope.jpg

best luck would be eastern montana the 700 areas (around jorden)...But speed goats with a ML can be trickey...I spent 5 weeks putting the sneak on mine in open country before finally connecting....
howie+ant+buck+2007+lg.JPG

I am thinking like you as well. I plan to take my son out to wyoming next fall for an antelope hunt, I am already getting excited.

Good luck to YOU on your hunt.
Wess

A very nice antelope AND a GRRW Leman. You REALLY know how to rub it in don't you? :wink:

Ray

If you look at the country that Trapper hunted in with the flat land and short grass, you can see why it took five weeks. IMO, his hunt was as tough as it can get with an ml for antelope just because of the terrain.

I only hunted them once with ml and my hunt took about 45 minutes. Difference is I was hunting rolling hills with some gullies and sage brush that ran as high as three feet. Makes the sneak a lot easier.

Thanks, Ray. Load was 120 grains of Goex 2F and a Hornady .530 roundball. The buck was walking at about 90 yards and I didn't lead him enough, hit him in the liver. He walked off and laid down. I got right up to him, but didn't want to cut his throat (trying to save the cape to give to a taxidermist), so I shot him from about 12 feet right behind the right leg, through the heart. When we skinned him, we found that round ball had gone through him and struck the opposite or left leg bone, flattened out and wrapped around it. It did not even crack that leg bone.

I learned a lot hunting antelope with a muzzleloader. Like, leave the rifle muzzle down after cleaning so nothing drains into the powder drum to cake it shut. And, be sure to fire a cap to make certain that powder channel is open, before loading. And, it sure is hard to reload while hiding behind a knee-high bush with a buck antelope walking up on you to see what all the commotion is about, after I just missed him.

I antelope hunt almost every year. It is a lot of fun. I have not got one with my muzzleloader but hopefully next year. I got a buck this year with the rifle that scored 76!

By allmeans, come out west for antelope.They are the most fun to hunt of all our big game.If you are in the right place, you will see plenty of game. I have hunted them in both Colorado and Wyoming. Wyoming is the easiest for the out of state hunter to get a tag. By brother in law tried for three years before his tag came through in Colorado. I hunt the does mostly, and their tags are easier to get here in my home state. Hunting public land is possible here, I always do.
Probably setting aside a week in the field is the best way to go. I have killed antelope 5 minutes after opening and as late as seven days into the season. They aren't as easy to kill as you may have read in the magazines, so be careful with your shot. One thing you never want to do is to chase a wounded one. They can be hunted from a natural blind near one of their daily routes, next to a water hole, or using spot and stalking.

I've hunted antelope in Wyoming twice. Both times were do-it-myself. First time was great. Second time was miserable.
In WY you have to apply for a certain area. You have 3 or 4 choices and hope to get drawn for your 1st choice, but that doesn't always happen.

My 2nd hunt out there was miserable for three reasons.
1. There was a large block of public land that I wanted to hunt, however I had to cross private land to get to it. The rancher wanted $125. just for me to drive on a gas company road across his land! I wouldn't pay it!
2. Weather. It poured down rain for a whole week. The prairie turned to mud. I was lucky to get my truck out.
3. Bad choice of hunting partner. He didn't want to do any camp chores and instead layed in out tent for days during the storm and preached his version of the gospel at me.
I cut the trip short mainly just to get rid of him!

you might think of east central Wyo. I live at Wright just south of Gillette. The Thunder Basin Grasslands "public area is covered with goats pretty easy shootin " You can get additional doe faun permits over the counter even if you are from out of state. Just a thought. pretty easy to fill your tag and the Rochelle hills is a good place to set up a primitive camp not much live water though.

Back