• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MUZZLELOADING QUIRKS! ! !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CARBABY

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can’t Help Myself Here it Goes. . . So the weather is lousy and you can’t go out and shoot, cabin madness is about to grab you. Let’s hear here from you on this topic: What’s your opinion on a MUZZLELOADING QUIRK/QUIRKS. Here’s some to get things going: What do you think about a Fouling shot before you start Shooting? When shooting competitively should one clean the bore between each shot? Do you use spit on your patch or some use some special concoction? Should one wash patch material before using ,/ how many times does one run it thru the wash/what’s the best detergent”¦.does it matter? Do you cut out patches to shoot, or use the patch knife at the muzzle? If using cut patches will round one's have preference over square one's. Feel free to address some Quirk not listed. Using a Rabbits foot”¦ kissing the check piece before each shot, licking a finger and wiping the front sight before each shot, shouldering the rifle and approaching sighting the target from top down or bottom up. YOUR TURN.

DEATH WIND said:
What do you think about a Fouling shot before you start Shooting? When shooting competitively should one clean the bore between each shot?
My first shot at the range is almost always the best one. The next ones, either because of the now less than clean bore, or just because the nut behind the butt plate is looser, seem to go a little off the mark to starboard. I'm not yet to the point where I'll scrub the bore between shots, but I might have to conisider it if that kind of accuracy mattered.

Conversely, in my case at least, a fouling shot throws away the best shot of the day... unless I adjust the sights to suit a dirty bore, and that trades accuracy at the range for accuracy on the hunt.

My quirk is putting the stopper BACK in the horn!!!!! I hate it when i take my friends shooting with me and they dont put the stopper back in the horn and just lay them on the table. (this is when we're at the range, not when I'm out shooting "from the hip" as I call it with just my possibles bag and horns, no table).

I also like to carry my longrifle against my shoulder, lock facing out with the muzzle in the air.

Another thing that I do EVERY time I shoot my longrifle is to think about and ponder over how wars were fought, nations forged, and people protected with these weapons. Sounds kinda corny, I know. But I cannot load my flintlock longrifle without thinking about those American riflemen who put all they had on the table to ensure and protect the birth of a new nation.

It's kinda heartwarming and soothing when I shoot. Doesn't matter what I'm shooting at. I just like to revel in the fact that I shoot the same weapon that was used by those who forged our freedoms.

Don't know if these are "quirks", but I've posted them anyway.

DEATH WIND said:
So the weather is lousy and you can’t go out and shoot

Out here on the left coast we have very few nice days. Cant say its never to bad to go shoot.

[/quote]
What do you think about a Fouling shot before you start Shooting? [/quote]

Use 1000 wonderlube & cleaning products and you wont need a fowling shot. The first shot will be the same as the last.

"putting the stopper BACK in the horn" WHOW, I HAVE TO AGREE. That's a safety issue. Stopper it! If your not pouring powder for the next shot. If there are flintlocks on the line.... Whow... could be a nasty thing with the stopper out. Ever see a FlintLock touched off at night. Especially one of the old Flintlock Muskets. Make's one wonder what we are doing standing behind all that goings on.

Arrowstorm said:
I also like to carry my longrifle against my shoulder, lock facing out with the muzzle in the air.

It's kinda heartwarming and soothing when I shoot. Doesn't matter what I'm shooting at. I just like to revel in the fact that I shoot the same weapon that was used by those who forged our freedoms.

When scouting or exploring by myself, I like to carry my rifle in the crook of my arm, buttstock angled forward. It seems to rest natural this way. There's definitely something "cool" about slipping through the woods carrying a firearm that our ancestors carried - and relied on!

I have no quirks. They are all "reliable and efficient motions" and if they look quirly to others it's because they don't comprehend the complexity and elegance of my style. :rotf:

I clean the bore to bare metal, alcohol wipe and pre-lube before loading, fill the pan as full as it holds of priming, prime with the same granulation as my main charge, load sprue-up, spit patch every fifth load whether it needs it or not. I pre-patch balls into loading blocks whenever possible.

When I get tired of shooting the 10-X out of targets I fire so my targets represent the stars of constellations. Those who don't appreciate the skill involved chuckle and show their ignorance with statements like: "Vertical AND horizontal stringing? N'yuk! N'yuk!" instead of "What a lovely representation of Draco you posted there. Didn't you just do Orion in the last match?"

If I do leave my horn unplugged it's so I can use it as a fuse to blow up the savauges stealing my gear when I walk down to check my targets. Davy Crocket did this every third episode, but he had little kegs.

I drink like a horse, smell like a fish and am as strong as a dog.

Stumpkiller said:
I drink like a horse, smell like a fish and am as strong as a dog.

So THAT'S what your huntin' buddies meant when they said they always hunted upwind from you !!

Arrowstorm said:
It's kinda heartwarming and soothing when I shoot. Doesn't matter what I'm shooting at.

After a session on the range I am really in a nice peacefull zone. On the way home don't listen to the radio and drive down the range road slowly so I don't disturb the feeling. The concentration for each shot puts me in this mood. GC

I've seen no need for a fouling shot in any of my guns. I do however clean all bore butter out before loading the first shot. I do clean between every shot with 1 wet and 1 dry. I cut off at muzzle with knife. Plus I always smile as i return to reload as it makes the other competitors wonder how good I'm shooting on that day.
Craig

Hey Deathwind,

I guess I have a routine rather than quirks. I never do a "fowling shot", I dont believe it was a common practice to waste a fire before engaging any target.

I use a powder measure and I shoot the same thing in the pan as the main charge(FFF).

If I am on a woodswalk (I refuse to attend paper shoots) I use cut patches. If I am on a trek or a stricktly primitive event I cut patches at the muzzle or use paper cartridges.

I load sprue side up.

I use a short starter occasionally.

I refuse to swab or wipe between shots because it has never been a noticeable benefit to those I shoot with and it makes me sick to see all the discarded patches on the ground.

I use my ramrod to load as I do not believe it was common to carry a range rod or wiping stick seperately.

I wipe the underside of my rock and the face of my frizzen before every shot (seems the humidity forms a sludge down there) and it seems to increase the reliability of ignition.

I have a vent pick hanging from my trigger guard and I use it for every shot.

I generally aquire my target while mounting the rifle, drop through the target and raise to the desired aiming point.

I carry everything I would have on a trek while shooting.

Charcloth

Can't say as I have ever shot a fowling shot. I always bust three caps with my rammer down the muzzle with a dry patch on it before shooting or hunting. I always plug my horn before I put the patch on the muzzle. Then patch and ball on top of that.(usually). Then I put a cap on there and bring her back to full cock and set the trigger. Bring her up and peek through my right eye with my left eye shut.(I know, ya ain't sposed ta do that)And soon as I have the picture I want a touch 'er off. I come up on target as opposed to coming down on target. Then I blow down the barrel 'til the smoke quits squirting out of the nipple and load 'er again.(If I'm at a NMLRA event I wipe between shots cause I don't want to blow my hand off pushing a round down.) I always clean my rifle the same day I shoot it before the sun goes down if possible. I tend to run another oily patch down 'er the next day or two if I can't shoot 'er. I have a arch punch that I cut my patches with instead of square or cut at the muzzle. Well, there you have it. :hatsoff:

I've often thought about our forebears as I load a black powder gun. :hmm: While loading my replica 1860 Army Colt (a slow process) I often can see myself saying: "Colonel, go ahead and start the charge without me. I'll be right along as soon as I get this thing loaded." :winking: graybeard

Have you ever heard or better yet seen any one using a CHAW strap on their gun. "CHAW STRAP"~
the shooter ties a leather strap to the wrist of the stock or to the back of a trigger guard if possible and then to assure the shooters face has
constant position on the stock bites the "Chaw
strap." As one bites the chaw strap and pulls the gun to position evidently if the bite is the same on the strap the shooter's cheek is aligned on the stock the same each time. I know this may sound like a yarn....but long ago I read this on some guys journal from the 18-hundred's. Never tried it ...I have too many other vises and rituals to go thru.

I admire a man who can shoot a perfect ORION. The best target I ever got after shooting all day was shot to PISCES.

Sounds like you have reached perfect Zen thru your shooting. This might sound a little nuts...but if one does concentrate on the loading sequence, shouldering the rifle and sighting the target with follow-thru. One can shun the other worries of our society - - - momentarily. "To relieve stress - fire 25 rounds a day with a flint lock"...there's one you'll probably never hear from a Doctor.

DEATH WIND said:
"To relieve stress - fire 25 rounds a day with a flint lock"...there's one you'll probably never hear from a Doctor.
No, but I understand the concept...I've been shooting 40-50 shots through a Flintlock most every Saturday morning for a few years now...very theraputic!
:thumbsup:

Well now, I'd go along with that if ye was talkin traditional archery. 25 arrows can sooth the mind and soul.

With the flintlock? All a'flashin and occasionally a'bangin and the dirt flyin up all sides of the target, pushin down a reluctant ball and gettin all sootied up . . . and the intact black circle just a winkin and a laughin at me all the while. No sir. That ain't relaxin A TALL! That's work.

(Shhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's the story I tells THE ADMIRAL).

I admire a man who can shoot a perfect ORION. The best target I ever got after shooting all day was shot to PISCES.

Groan. :haha:

Never heard of the Chaw Strip, but Hobbles sticks a tack in the gun's wrist so he can lay some part o'his face against it each time. I suspect someone caught him with a good right hook a time back and his nose gets halfway there ahead of most folks. I'd have to use my off eye to get my little button nose over there.

I have a chaw strap on my rifle, a leather strap with a large chevron to chomp down on. Use it for fun cause all the shoots I've been to they are illeagle to use. It does work though.

I believe ALL of us have some quirks! A fellow shooter was always giving me advise to use peanut oil for a lube, mike and weigh my lead balls, use old t-shirts for patches, etc., etc. The thing is, he heard of all of that stuff and does it, but I consistently shoot better than him and have had no need to "adapt or change."

I've never seen the advantage of the really tight balls. I like to load so that my ramrod goes down in one, fairly smooth motion. No pounding or beating the ball on top of the charge. I wipe the bore after each match, not after each shot. I use a fouling shot just to see where I am aiming. I use Leigh Valley Lube and will never see any reason to go to peanut oil, just because a good shooter in Missouri uses it!

TexiKan

Back