• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzleloading shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorAaron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hello,
i have a new englander 50. i heard there was a smooth bore barrel for it. im thinking about getting one. does any one know where i could find one. or any other advise about muzzleloading shotgun.
aaron

Try calling T/C first - they may have a new one. Phone # is on their website.

If not, you should be able to find a used one on ebay or the gun boards. :v

I have a 12 gauge smooth barrel for my New Englander that I bought used on ebay about a year ago. :)

go to this link for the number and then call this place, (www.kitterytradingpost.com) ask for someone in the blackpowder dept,, then ask about a 12ga NE barrel but if not I'll find one for you just give me some time I just came across a matched 54/12ga set recently.

also as for using them, they are addictive, more so than rifled. the basics for now would be just use the blue/grey wads and over the shot cards and then go from there on fine tuning but thats pretty much it,, I shot 11 pheasants so far with my 20 but i'll load birdshot, buckshot (coyotes) and ball with mine..

kittery gets maybe 20-30 used BP guns in and out per month, right now they have a New Englander barrel but its a .54 they will contact you when one comes along and they are cheap and ship!

ask anything specific that you need to know and you'll get answers here! I'm assuming you already load and shoot "rifled" muzzleloaders and have the basics down.

They are addictive! I've had my New Englander for 3 years now and have taken quite a few quail and chukars with it. I've been using a load of 90 grains each of powder and shot (#7 1/2 or #5) over two 1/8" lubed felt wads and a thin overshot card. My barrel has the choke tubes and I've used the modified tube the most as it seemed to pattern the best at 25 - 30 yards. The IC tube looks good at 20 - 25 yards and the full looks great at 35. I also picked up a .54 barrel for it and used it for a cow elk 3 years ago. Keep your eyes peeled as barrels do show up fairly regularly. The 12 ga barrels were available from Fox Ridge a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure now. The Kittery link above sounds like a great idea.

Dave

davechuckar.jpg

T/C sells them 172.00 new with choke tube..The New Englander is a light fast swinging gun. Used the one below this spring to take this Wisconsin gobbler at 33 yards.added camo tape and turkey choke..throws a great pattern..You'll need to work up loads.That's part of the fun.

IMG_0194_1.jpg

Back