• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 2016 Flintlock Longbeard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The 2016 turkey season was a tough one for me. The birds in Kansas just wouldn't come close enough for my 12 gauge smoothbore and the birds in Missouri didn't want to play at all for the most part. I had six jakes behind my house that I figured I could surely kill one of but they proved tricky as well. I got a new longbow and bowhunted behind the house most of the time but the jakes did not like my decoys and would never come within range. After two weeks of nothing, I decided to scrap the bow and grab the flintlock. I knew I could get one of those youngsters into its range!

I set up Thursday morning well before daylight. I started hearing quite a few gobbles as the sun lit up the sky but I couldn't get a single bird to answer my calls. I wasn't worried. I knew those jakes usually came by at around 7:30 heading to a field that borders my property.

At around 6:45, I heard the god-awfullest commotion in the leaves coming towards me and my first thought was that it was a herd of deer coming to my salt lick situated about 10 yards from where I was sitting. I quickly turned on my video camera to hopefully capture some footage of them before they spooked over my presence.

I didn't have my gun up because I was waiting for deer so imagine my surprise when a big ole gobbler comes walking by at 20 yards looking for the hen he had heard over this direction. I quickly threw my flintlock to my shoulder and brought it to bear but the movement caused the gobbler to alarm put and speed up his gate. Fortunately, the tom right behind him wanted to see what the fuss was about so he stopped and stretched his neck out nice and pretty. That was his mistake and the Lord called the poor thing home.

He turned out to be a fine bird; 23.2 lbs, 1" spurs, a 12" beard and a 7.5" beard.
FlintlockTurkey5-5-16-03_zpswxaftlnn.jpg

I shot him with a 12 gauge smoothbore made by my good friend, John Pruitt. I used 70 grains FFF, 1 overpowder card, 1/4" lubed wad, 1.5 oz. #6 shot in a paper shot cup and 1 overshot card. The shot distance was 21 yards.
FlintlockTurkey5-5-16-01_zpsd2swdj40.jpg

Here are the double beards
FlintlockTurkey5-5-16-02_zpsvq7pwpls.jpg

I had him cut up and put away in short order and then I set about turning some of that raw material into some fine vittles.
FriedTurkey_zps3rvikfdc.jpg

Here is a link to the video I shot. Unfortunately, there are three trees in exactly the wrong place. However, you get the hear the big "CLICK" when I pull the hammer back and see the sparks and smoke when I shoot. The first bird you see is the one that spooked. The second one just dropped when I shot him.
Flintlock Longbeard

Darren

Congratulations, pretty bird. That plate of vittles reminds me of that old saw, to the victor go the spoils. Nice looking spoils. :wink:

Spence

Britsmoothy said:
Good for you :hatsoff:

What is your bow range then?

B.

When I hunt turkeys with a longbow, I do it out of a blind and I put my decoys very close; 10 yards or less. A turkey's vital area is pretty small so I wouldn't shoot at one past 15 yards or so. However, every one I've ever killed with a bow has been closer than that.

The jakes didn't like my jake decoy and would hang up at 20-25 yards. That's easy flintlock range...if I had had my flintlock with me.

Darren

Very Nice!! Double bearded!

I'm Jealous! The Mountain birds just don't get them long Ground dragging beards!!

Congrats! :thumbsup:

That's a good looking bird! This year has been my worse turkey season yet. I'm glad you were able to bring a bird home.

Darren, Great hunt and story...
Love the end product pictures..Double Yum!
BP+ flintlocks + close encounters=Awesome!

Back