• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My boys first day trek

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNtrapper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy all! Thought Id share a pic of my oldest boys first day trek with dad.He turned 6 last month and has been begging to go and dress like daddy does. So Ive managed to get him his first 1770s outfit (EVERYTHING BUT SHOES SO FAR).Well I decided we'd go tree rat huntin together like my dad first took me years ago. We lit out this afternoon with my smoothbore lookin for tree rats.We crossed Tumblin Creek and made our way towards Sulfer Top about a mile distant.Lots of walkin fer little legs but he kept up.As we started up towards the hardwoods I guess hed been as quiet as long as he could and started the loud talkin. Well I knelt down on one knee and told him "son...there might be hostiles about, so lets try and keep it quiet and we migt keep our scalps" Man...Ill tell ya, those words were like super-glue on the back of my leg...because thats where he stuck till we reached the top!Didnt take long though and we had some tree rats on the ground. He claimed one was his because he saw it first. In the pic thats his tail hes holdin up.So I struck flint and made a fire and we enjoyed fried tree rat,fried cornbread and some hot chocolate....didnt figure hed go for the usual coffee.So we started the walk home and got back to the homestead a little after dark. The pics speak for themselves....man Im proud of him! He really did good.Have a good un yall!
SEPT06004.jpg
SEPT06008.jpg

Great pics and outfits, and a fine time appears to have been had by all, he will come to treasure such, same as you spoke of about your dad. Hey, even the hunting dog looks authetic. :)

BTW, nothing wrong with the lad's choice of drink, chocolate was much preferred by the long hunters over coffee. When one reads the trade goods lists of Baynton,Wharton and Morgan sold for hunts in, "Sons Of The Trackless Forest." It is evident the market hunters of Kentucky and the Ohio country had occasion to enjoy such, along with a little sugar no less.

Good deal,he will surely remember this the rest of his life.Thanks for posting. :applause:

LOve the dog too. What a great experience for a child to grow into a man.

Wonderful!

Sounds much like my 1st rabbit hunt.
You have done your son a great service. I know this because to this day that rabbit hunt is one of my fondest memories.

Tntrapper I'm impressed your son will remember that the rest of his life , do it again as often as you can . What a wonderful education for your son , you are a great dad . just my 2$

bp junky said:
Tntrapper I'm impressed your son will remember that the rest of his life , do it again as often as you can . What a wonderful education for your son , you are a great dad . just my 2$

I agree 100% :hatsoff:

I'm still laughin' over the "hostiles". Man, kids are priceless! I'm glad that you got to take him out with you and that he enjoyed it. That's a big part of what helps us preserve our sport and heritage for another generation. :thumbsup:

TN.Trapper, ya done good! yer a good man,an the boys got a good start with a good role model :hatsoff: RC

Possibles bag - $35; Custom rifle - $900; Spending quality time with son - Priceless.

Spend as much time with him as you can. They grow up too fast.

Latest posts

Back