• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My butt gets wet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Problem Child

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm hog hunting in a very swampy area.My Numrich .36 cal Percussion rifle weighs around 8 lbs and is about 56" long.
I like to slip slowly into the wind along a creek bank looking for hogs so after a little while I have to sit the rifle down and rest my arms,but the ground is always wet and alot of times the water is a couple of inches deep.
I've waxed the butt of my rifle but I would like to have more protection.
The butt is not very large so I don't think one of those slip-on recoil pads would work.I would like something like Neoprene but can't really think of anything that would work.
Any suggestions???

Truck inner tube cut to shape and held together with Barge cement on the edges. Make it a little small so you have to stretch it on. You can go up the stock as far as you need to :wink: ...Bud

Sandwich bag and some duct tape, don't even need to have the tape come it contact with the wood.
Bill

How about a pouch of some sort, that would hang from your belt or shoulder. Put the butt of your rifle in it to take most of the weight. Or a shoulder sling for the rifle?

make a cloth tie on sling so you can toss it over your sholder if needed n you can take the sling off easy when yer done for the day, also one of those mico fleece hand towels in yer bag to dry it off if ya need to, ain't pc or hc but it works

When I set down on wet ground I lay the gun across my knees or thighs.

8 lb rifle :shocked2: ? I would start with a lighter rifle. :rotf:

Not sure about the confession of the butt waxin... :shocked2: :youcrazy: :blah:

I usually set my rife on the toe of my boot or park by the nearest log or clump of somethin and use that. All else fails I lay in across a branch.

From above:

"I usually set my rife on the toe of my boot or park by the nearest log or clump of somethin and use that. All else fails I lay in across a branch."

Seems like a logical answser, or a person could simply buy a sling and use it to keep the rifle out of the water when resting.

How was the West settled with the Internet and FEMA?

Back