• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My cat knows when I'm hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
My cat, Kate, loves squirrels. I often bring them in after hunting and he will lay on them and smell and roll around. (Yes, Kate's a boy, its a long story. :yakyak: ) The interesting thing is that he doesn't usually greet me at the door when I come home, but if I leave the house in the morning wearing camo, when I come home in the evening he will be waiting at the door all excited to see if I brought him a squirrel. So apparently he knows that me wearing camo in the morning means the possibility of squirrels when I get home!

We had a cat a couple of years ago that would follow me when I hunted behind my house.At first,I would take him back and close him up in the garage.Then I got to thinking....the cat has better senses than I do.So I would let him tag along with me.

When I was in Highschool I'd go quail and pheasant hunting in the apple orchards next door to our house. My sisters cat would follow me and after about 3 times she would leave presents of quail and pheasant on the back porch steps for me. Never ate them just piled them high. I would fish the irragation ditches andd give her whitefish seemed like a fair trade lol

When we were first married I had an all black cat that would follow me into the woods and walk with me until I took the first shot. He'd skedaddle at the "boom", but when I got off the hill he'd be waiting at the back porch for his squirrel heart and kidneys.

I still miss that cat.

Back