• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My elk load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
6 more day until my 4th season cow elk hunt opens here in colorado.
I will be using my CVA .54perc. Mountain Rifle with 80gr Pyrodex RS, home-cast .530 round ball and a double (One as a buffer) .015 patch. I am currently sighted 2" high at 100 yards. Hopefully something will come within range!

Good luck to you. :thumbsup: I'm working on my elk load in my flinter. So far it likes 90gr FFFG .010 patch and .530 ball.

Mine starts the 6th of Dec.

Very close to the load that I use. Sounds like you are all diled in and ready to go! :thumbsup:

Good luck

Hello from Germany,

since April 2008 I'm hunting in an area where red deer is around too. I use a .50 PRB and 90 grs WANO PP. But until now I don't have been successful.Sometimes I'm thinking about loading a Hornady Great Plains bullet.

Regards

Kirrmeister

good luck. i've used 90gr rs w/ .530 ball and .018 patch in my cap gun, and 80 gr ffg goex w/ .53 ball and .015 patch over wad in my flinter. too bad i could not go hunting for the 2nd and can not go for the 4th season, that is what i would be using.
good luck again.

I have a dumb question. When you say you used a double patch did you mean 2 .015 patches around the ball? or one just pushed down on the powder to act as a wad ? I never really heard of that.

One patch pushed on top of the powder to act as a wad. This keeps my accuracy tight! Its weird but the thicker .018 and .020 patches can not come close to matching the accuracy when i use the double patch set up. :hmm:

Use an OP wad. It removes the " JOB " of sealing the grooves from the powder gases from what is expected from a single cloth patch wrapped around the ball. The patch then only has to hold the ball, and transfer the spin of the riflling to the ball when the gun is fired.

It no longer is also trying to protect the ball from being melted or cut by those hot gases.

The patch, of course, does lube the lands, at least, and part of the grooves, as the PRB is rammed down the barrel and seated on the powder.

Yor load should work, I don't think I will hunt Elk this year but should I give it a try the Virginia .62 smoothrifle with 95-100 gr of 3f and a .600 ball would probably be my choice, and a limit of 50 yds or a bit more to insure a good hit in the right spot.

Back