• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first big 58'er

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Recieved my .58cal CVA Mountain Rifle barrel in today from Deer Creek! I wasnt aware that i needed to order the underrib and such but thats ok, just a minor set back.

I hit the barrel flats with my 150grit sand block and applied my first coat of LMF Browning solution. This rifle is gonna make for one heck of a hunting rifle!

I already have a .54 Big bore Mtn rifle but i wanted to have the next step up just for "Kicks" and giggles :haha:

This used to be a 15/16" stock but a few minutes of work in the channel did the job. Stock is Curly Maple,
Picture001.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Nothing like the big bores, eh?

May I ask you about the trigger guard? Is it enlarged so you can wear a gloved trigger finger or was it flatten and shifted forewards?

I just never seen one shifted like that before.

thats actually from a deer creek northwest rifle. I dont plan on using it for long, just long enuff till i have the funds for something else i found.

The one on it is perfect if you have a bulky glove.

Musketman said:
Nothing like the big bores, eh?

The only bad thing I've found about them since buying a .58 is that it makes you want to keep going bigger...or is that really a bad thing. :thumbsup:

Kentucky Windage, I am presently considering building a .58 mountain rifle from parts. The stock I can get is also channeled for 15/16ths. The barrel is an original CVA .58 so the trunions will line up. The question I have is when you widened the stock for the 1" barrel did you also drop the barrel down the 1/32" in the bed? The reason why I ask this is it seems to me it would make the trunions too low for the wedges and make them interfere with ramrod. Wouldn't it also make the tang too high in the stock? Also does the additional width of the barrel interfere with the lock bedding in the stock correctly? I am able to buy enough parts to assemble approx. 6-8 of these rifles and I am thinking of doing so. I have a Mountain rifle in .50cal that I built 30+ years ago that is absolutely a tack driving machine and would like to build myself and my son a .58.Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

i just had to take a little off the sides. The depth was fine and the wedge keys lock up tight. Its very simple to do. I used a long file and slowly widened the channel.

Welcome to the .58 club! I joined in November. I'd think twice about keeping the trigger guard. I found my .58 was a tight fit between gloves and trigger guard this deer season. Any plans to hunt with your rifle?

I'm sure you will just love the .58. I think it's the perfect caliber for RB big game hunting in the west. I just love mine. Please keep us informed on your progress.

will do PRB!!

Just currently finished browning the barrel with LMF. looks great so far, i just have to oil it and make sure everything is A-ok.

Latest posts

Back