• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Custom is a TVM VA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawTooth

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello All,

First and foremost Thanks to Many here that have helped in the development and order of my first custom rifle.

This will be a hunting gun, used primarily in the Eastern U.S. for whitetail up to black bear, and up to Elk in the Western U.S and Canada.

I have hunted with a .50 for some time.

The Gun:

TVM

Early Virginia
R. H. / Lg. Siler Flint / Aged Steel / 13" LOP
Rice Swamp 50x38" B Wt. Square Cut Rifling 1/66
Davis #6 Triggers
Rear Sight Cut Square Notch
Front Sight Silver (Brass Base)
P+ Maple

***I may be changing the Chambers Lg Siler L #1 to the Chambers Deluxe Siler L #18***

Seems like many around here really like the Deluxe for performance.

HC / PC Correct, dunno mebbe. Where would you place the gun?

I must say that Toni and TVM have been fantastic to work with.

I'll post pics when the rifle arrives and post up a review and range report(s).

Any and all comments and/or suggestions would be welcome.

SawTooth

Congratulations SawTooth,

That ought to be a fine hunting rifle. I agree that Matt and Toni are great to work with.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Sounds great...they've built EVAs for my hunting and I used deluxe silers as well...don't know (or care) if they're "PC" or not...neither have the deer and squirrels...
:grin:

With the Siler lock and general style the "early" part will be 1770 at the earliest IMHO, TVM makes a good product but are pretty generic off the shelf, if one wants a Virginia gun it needs to have some traits associated with guns from Virginia I have never got an answer after asking over a dozen times where TVM draws their Virginia connection from, this is not a slam on TVM as they have a large and happy following probably just less historicaly inspired folks compared to those who chose the Faber type from Chambers or the Brooks Virginia gun based on an original and a couple of others on the tip of my toungue, this is probably going to get some folks in a squirting match but it is valid, unless you are really deep into re-enacting I would not be to concerned about the PC/HC of any of their "early" guns or French fusils "early" has become more a marketing device than a historical denotation in recent years,again TVM = good quality with domestic parts, a notch higher on the PC/HC scale than the producion level guns but below the level of Chambers/Brooks, Stroh and many others who produce on a more limited basis but a higher emphsis on gun history, and I have held several TVM guns in my hands over the years so I am familiar with them, I would likley buy a used one myself if it was what I was looking for, and if one did their research and picked the parts and carving themselves, I have no doubt that TVM could produce a gun as PC/HC as anyone else, but their bread abnd butter comes from a different level historically, not wrong, bad, or deceptfull just different.You will have a fine gun and get many years of usage from it, enjoy the journey. :thumbsup:

Since you asked..... :wink:
. I'd go with any of Chambers big english locks, Their flat Ketland would be very good, Or Davis' english export lock or their newish colonial/german lock.
I'd also switch to brass mounts tyoo, although I have been guilty of building iron mounted colonial giuns many times in the past. :thumbsup:
I'd also go with a C or D weight barrel too.

This will be a hunting gun, used primarily in the Eastern U.S. for whitetail up to black bear, and up to Elk in the Western U.S and Canada.

I have hunted with a .50 for some time.

If you are going west for elk, I'd change up to a .54 cal. I'm sure the .50 is adequate, but .54 is even more adequate! :) And, in doing so, Mike's suggestion of a heavier barrel would be a good idea. I like his idea of brass too.

Just send me your order # And I'll get in touch with TVM and re-order for you. :rotf:

Great choice in a TVM it will be put together RIGHT. as far as the HC/PC thing Ive never had a deer look at me an say well wattlebuster you big dummy that 54 ball you just shot me with was not out of a period correct rifle. Good luck I know you have got some fun an enjoyment coming soon. :thumbsup:

I mostly agree with you on the rifles. TVM does state that their guns do not represent any particular builder but are just characteristic of the style and the area the style originated. I've notice, as well, that because all TVM guns are hand built from a plank rather than a machine copy, each one will have subtle differences from another identical rifle. And yes, they will build you an HC/PC rifle if you research and tell them what you want. I would also second the suggestion of making it a .54 if elk are on the menu. That EV will be a fine custom rifle for all big game hunting.

Where as in time or place?

I would think that it could have been built or used over a fairly wide range of territory and from the early revolution to around 1800.

I like your choices and have no problem with the caliber. I have a number of .50s and a couple of .54s. Both sizes serve well.

I am sure that Matt and Toni will not disappoint.

CS

I agree the rifle will not disappoint. My EV from them is very nice. This also highlights a problem that can often be easily overlooked. If you have a copy of a particular original rifle built, you do have a 100% HC rifle. But since many were custom built to start with and not from a duplicator, it may exhibit differences from it's siblings. Those who have studied enough examples of a particular builders work can often identify a rifle as being built him. This is much like the art experts who can identify paintings, etc, by an artist even as his art evolves over time. This is a great time to be a muzzleloader shooter. There are so many fine builders around - along with otc guns - you can get just about anything you want.

When I get my EV from TVM I'll post pictures.. ordered it in November:

Early Virginia Right Hand 14 1/4 LOP

Rice Swamped 42in .54 cal
Chambers Colonial Virnia Lock
Davis #6 Set Trigger
Brass Hardware
Brass Front Sight
Iron Rear Sight
Aged Iron on the metal
Wooden Patch Box
SP Curly Maple

Based on all the threads on this and other forums I'm sure we won't be disappointed. In the mean time I bought a Flint Deerstalker which I practice with every Sunday if possible.

I feel I'll be used to the flintlock by then. I got hooked on Flint by trying a friends gun. Also enjoy history from the Revolutionary time period.

You will find all the people here very helpful and friendly.

Good Luck to you when your new rifle comes.

Charlie

It looks like TVM is pretty busy. I also ordered one myself. I ordered one of the early Lancaster's. Looks like a few of us will be getting our new rifles in comparable times. I am looking forwrd to mine. I only dealt with Toni in my purchase. But she was a delight to talk with. Tom.

Thanks for all the input!

Quick Update:

1. Chamber's Lg Siler Lock (L1) Changed to Siler Deluxe Lock (L18).

2. Silver Front Sight (Brass Base Not Available)

3. I will confirm that the 38" B Wt. Rice Swamped bbl is the "sweet spot" vs a C Wt. for the .50 Cal.

SawTooth

Thanks tg,

That was VERY informative.

I can see a persona developing over time as I learn to enjoy the other aspects of the sport.

Guess I'm gonna need to start lookin for a good smith for some accoutrements...

tg said:
With the Siler lock and general style the "early" part will be 1770 at the earliest IMHO, TVM makes a good product but are pretty generic off the shelf, if one wants a Virginia gun it needs to have some traits associated with guns from Virginia I have never got an answer after asking over a dozen times where TVM draws their Virginia connection from, this is not a slam on TVM as they have a large and happy following probably just less historicaly inspired folks compared to those who chose the Faber type from Chambers or the Brooks Virginia gun based on an original and a couple of others on the tip of my toungue, this is probably going to get some folks in a squirting match but it is valid, unless you are really deep into re-enacting I would not be to concerned about the PC/HC of any of their "early" guns or French fusils "early" has become more a marketing device than a historical denotation in recent years,again TVM = good quality with domestic parts, a notch higher on the PC/HC scale than the producion level guns but below the level of Chambers/Brooks, Stroh and many others who produce on a more limited basis but a higher emphsis on gun history, and I have held several TVM guns in my hands over the years so I am familiar with them, I would likley buy a used one myself if it was what I was looking for, and if one did their research and picked the parts and carving themselves, I have no doubt that TVM could produce a gun as PC/HC as anyone else, but their bread abnd butter comes from a different level historically, not wrong, bad, or deceptfull just different.You will have a fine gun and get many years of usage from it, enjoy the journey. :thumbsup:

vietnam71 said:
When I get my EV from TVM I'll post pictures.. ordered it in November:

Early Virginia Right Hand 14 1/4 LOP

Rice Swamped 42in .54 cal
Chambers Colonial Virnia Lock
Davis #6 Set Trigger
Brass Hardware
Brass Front Sight
Iron Rear Sight
Aged Iron on the metal
Wooden Patch Box
SP Curly Maple

Based on all the threads on this and other forums I'm sure we won't be disappointed. In the mean time I bought a Flint Deerstalker which I practice with every Sunday if possible.

I feel I'll be used to the flintlock by then. I got hooked on Flint by trying a friends gun. Also enjoy history from the Revolutionary time period.

You will find all the people here very helpful and friendly.

Good Luck to you when your new rifle comes.

Charlie

Congrats!

That is gonna be a nice rifle.

Can't wait to see the pics!

SawTooth

Mike Brooks said:
Since you asked..... :wink:
. I'd go with any of Chambers big english locks, Their flat Ketland would be very good, Or Davis' english export lock or their newish colonial/german lock.
I'd also switch to brass mounts tyoo, although I have been guilty of building iron mounted colonial giuns many times in the past. :thumbsup:
I'd also go with a C or D weight barrel too.

Thanks Mike,

Tryin to put a "hunter" together for fall.

In this role I just prefer the ballistics of the .50 out to 100 yds.

If and when my persona develops, and the need arises, I may be linkin up with ya for somethin in brass, larger caliber, English Style lock, longer barrel and a patch box. Probably a Smoothie.

Admire your work!

SawTooth

hogghead,

Toni at TVM has been awesome to work with. Very helpful on decision making and willing to help you with research. I must have changed my mind at least 4 times on lock type and patch box. She never got flustered once.

Good luck with your Lancaster!

Charlie

SawTooth said:
Thanks for all the input!

Quick Update:

1. Chamber's Lg Siler Lock (L1) Changed to Siler Deluxe Lock (L18).

2. Silver Front Sight (Brass Base Not Available)

3. I will confirm that the 38" B Wt. Rice Swamped bbl is the "sweet spot" vs a C Wt. for the .50 Cal.

SawTooth

I would have stuck with the large Siler by Chambers. But you have a nice rifle on order. The barrel is a gem. Enjoy it.

Back