• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first Flintlock Deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halftail

58 Cal.
Reaction score
DeerHunting08001.jpg

45 Yards Broadside and standing.I hit him slam in the neck and he dropped like a sack of Hammers.Not a monster that's for sure but my first Deer with a flintlock.
Lyman Deerstalker,.490 and a .020 ticking patch 70 grains of 3f.
I hunted quite alot this year with my flintlock in all weather and only once did it fail to fire "right off" when I got done for the day.I am confident now even in Heavy rain that I can keep my main charge dry.

Nice Halftail, I tell ya those big bucks are over rated, those smaller younger ones do eat a whole lot better. :thumbsup: :grin:

Way to go! I call them freezer bucks. The best deer in the whole woods to go into your freezer.
I got one with my bow so far this year. All these stories and photo's have gottem me worked up to get back into the woods. Our muzzle loading season starts Dec 01.
Thanks for sharing
PJC

Way to go! You can't eat them old horns no how. Besides they are all trophys when taken with a ml. :grin:

Excellent job Halftail! I gotta hand it to 'Ya, taking it with a flintlock. I'm too chicken to risk my deer tag just yet. :hatsoff:
Idaho PRB

Hello from Germany!

Well done. Congrats and Waidmanns Heil.

Every ML deer is a trophy!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Stumpkiller said:
Very nice! :hatsoff:

I have two trophy rooms in the cellar. One says "Kenmore 13" on the door and the other says "Montgomery Ward Freezer". That buck would look wonderful in either. :wink:
:rotf: :grin:

Good job
The small one's are the best for eating.
Well you just go out and shoot your self a jack rabbit and get the head mounted with those little prong horns stuck out of it and you will have a trophey that will have every one asking what is it. My buddy had one done this way and it's a big hit with every one.
Clasic jackalope. :rotf:

Congrats on the buck! How do you like that Deerstalker? I'm looking for my first flintlock still and not sure if I want the Great Plains or that rifle there. How's the accuracy for you too?

Grats Halftail! :hatsoff:
I'm countin' minutes until a half-hour before sunrise Friday. Then I get to have a go at 'em. :thumbsup:

OutdoorsNole said:
Congrats on the buck! How do you like that Deerstalker? I'm looking for my first flintlock still and not sure if I want the Great Plains or that rifle there. How's the accuracy for you too?
OutdoorsNole,
I like the Deerstalker as a deer hunting gun but I must be honest with ya,I had to replace the Lyman Lock with a L&R REPLACEMENT before I could achieve any consistant ignition.With 70Grains of 3f and .490 ball patched with a .020 ticking I can put em in a 2 inch circle out to 70 yards off of a bench.It seemed that that particular Lyman Lock wouldn't fire for nothing,others may have differant opinions.

Back