• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Flintlock Kill!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelSnavely

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my friend John and I with the deer I shot yesterday. I got him with my Ted Fellowes .45 flintlock longrifle. I was using a .440 ball, cotton flannel sheet, TOTW Mink Oil for lube and a ND Knife River Flint.

This was truly a joint effort. We had hunted hard all day and saw quite a few does, but no bucks. I got a couple dumb shots at does that were on the run, but missed. I guess hitting a deer on the run is something you have to practice at...lol
I would send John up one draw and I would go up the next draw. He would move a little faster than me, so if he spooked anything, they would come over the hill into my draw. It worked really well when ever there were deer to spook.
We worked that way all day and we were on the last leg of the hunt when this guy stood up right below me. I didn't see him at first, but John pointed him out and I slowly followed. With the help of a pair of radios John was able to guide me to where he went into the trees. Since John said he just walked into the trees, I decided to follow real slow and low. I got about 15 feet into the trees when I saw him move. He was headed up the hill about 10 yards in front of me. By the time he turned his head and looked at me, he wouldn't make it up that hill.
Just before he turned his head back to start back up the hill there was a cloud of smoke and he started to stagger hard. As soon as I saw him stagger I hollered to John "DEAD DEER", but John said he knew I hit him as soon as the gun went off.
He's just a little 2x2, but he must have weighed 160 or more field dressed. It took everything John and I had to get this bugger up the hills to the car.

Only 2 more tags to fill by Sunday. One tag can be used during the muzzleloader season Nov. 27 - Dec. 13 so that's a good thing.
I think both of us are gonna need some recouperation time. By the time I got this guy skinned, quartered and separated into managable pieces, I could barely move. John couldn't make it for the full process. He was hurting to bad. I sure hope we are feeling good enough and able to hunt again before Sunday some time. Then we can save the last tag for muzzleloader season.

We're already looking forward to next year though, when John will have a license and can carry a gun and hunt. I think even with the pain, he had a great time and some wonderful memories were made. I told him that this deer and hunt will pale to shooting "his" first deer!

Me with the buck.
photo50.jpg

John with the buck.
photo52.jpg

FlintLocks and 2-Way Radios, not that is past and present meeting. Nice hunt. :thumbsup:

Congrats. here too. :thumbsup:
:hmm: About a ten yard shot?? I'd be happy gettin within a 100 yards in that terrain, much less 10!
peepwall1.gif
:bow:

Nice animal and a good story and photos, you should mail a copy to Bridges and tell him to put his anti PRB campain where the sun don't shine

Good to see another North Dakotan shooting a flintlock, so including myself that make 2 of us. I have so far shot 5 this year and have 6 more tags, but I can use them in the ML season and bow so they are good till January. This has been the roughest Deer season I've had, the deer numbers are dramaticly down this year over here in the NE part of the state, I'm hoping we have some snow for the ML season. You know you can use addl' tags during any season so if your non buck tags were from the 2nd or 3rd drawing or bought after the lotteries you can use them for any season with the proper weapon including the muzzleloading season. I shoot most of my deer in the ml season after all the road hunters dissapear from the rifle season. Here's what's left of this years buck, my camera broke during the hunt so I couldn't take pics of the animal.
PB190007.jpg

WOW, 2 of us?
Us ND guys are gonna overrun the forum... :rotf:

I traded out (sold and bought) all my modern guns for traditional flintlocks. I got really tired of shooting deer on opening day or really soon after at 200-300 yards. Just didn't feel like "hunting" anymore. Just felt like killing deer. Some years I didn't even get to my hunting spot before I was able to get out of the truck and shoot one in a wind break at 250 yards. Ya get home an hour after ya left. Not much of a hunt.

I still have two tags left. I'm hoping they fill just as hard as this one, but I do hope they get filled... :haha:

At least now I have to HOPE... :grin:

I've heard that knife river flint is pretty good stuff (for american flint), did you knap it yourself? How does it hold up compared to english flint? I have some spear points I found on my farm made of knife river flint and it looks nice and dense.

Congratulations-nice shot.Flintlock and roundball way to go! The harder the hunt the sweeter the rewards-That looks like a blast! Good luck with the rest of your tags!

Back