• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike bobey

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm going to buy a flintlock (first one) i was wondering if anyone had sugestions for a good first flintlock. I've shot percussion for 25 yrs, cap and ball revolvers, have 2 t/c hawkens, tvm southern rifle, old turner kirkland dixie squirrel rifle. I want to try my hand at flintlocks. I was wondering if the lyman gpr is a good starter rifle. I will build one later, but i would like to start shooting one now. thanks for any help you can give. slap happy

cabelas kentucky rifle (made by pedersoli) works for me. just yesterday i fired 1.25" group at 50 yards. decent gun for the price. my two cents.

Yes take the plunge be it T/C, Lyman, pedersoli, or custom. I shot mostly cap locks the first 7 years now have a flintlock and love it. They take a little more to get use to but are actualy easier on the pocket book since a flint will generaly last about 50 shots or more. And you dont have to look in the grass for the one you lost. :haha: Idont now how many times the damn cap wasnt seated all the way on and fell off.

I had never even seen someone shoot a flintlock (other than in the movies) when I bought my first 5 years ago. I was on my way to a canoe trip in Minn when I passed by TOTW. I came out with $1500 less in my pocket. What did I get for my money? Priceless...

Spend your money on a good gun. $1000 and up will get you something that you know, if it doesn't fire, you, not the gun, is the problem.

First of all, what do you plan to use it for? Hunting, target shooting, plinking, re-enacting? All of the above? Regardless of the intended use, it is always wise to buy the best gun that you can afford. It will be better made from finer components and will hold its value much better. It won't have the generic look of a mass produced gun and if you decide to re-enact, it won't look out of place at the proper events. It has the potential to be an exceptional shooter and the high quality flintlock is nicer to live with. A cheap flintlock will often have function issues and is a wretched thing to live with. Years from now, when you have forgotten the cost, the quality will still be there to remind you of the wisdom of your purchase.

For some examples try Track of the Wolf's web-site.

Don't do it :wink:
All your percussion cap guns will be sold to feed your habit..
That's how it always starts... Just one...
A rifle.. then a smooth bore.. then a pistol..
NEXT THING YOU KNOW.. ALL you own are rock guns :surrender: :grin:

What lock does your TVM Southern MT rifle have?
possibly a different lock and a liner instead of a drum and you may have a nice flinter for less than $ 150.

I'm a big fan of the looks and feel of a Uberti SantaFe. find a used one...unless you're REALLY lucky and find one at a gun dealer as new old stock. They're 53 cal though. Uberti made the New Colt BR revolvers some years ago and their work is first rate. I did a google search for one a couple of months ago and found 2 right off.

another one turned to the dark side...

yes, young rockbanger, once you have primed your first pan, forever will it dominate your destiny...

you could do much worst than the TVM, although i'm partial to T/C, having owned one for many years.

by the way- go with the black english flints from Tom Fuller at ToW.

good luck!

msw

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to look into converting my tvm into a flintlock. later slap happy

Russ T Frizzen said:
What's a Colt BR?

I think much faster than I type...was supposed to say Colt Black Powder revolver.
Uberti made that issue of Colt's that came out in the 1970's

Colt bought rough forgings from Uberti for the "C" series guns and machined and finished them in Hartford, Conn. Same for the "F" series only they were made in the Iver Johnson factory in New Jersey and inspected for quality control by Colt.

The 3rd generation guns also used rough forgings fron Italy, though not from Uberti, and were finished in Brooklyn by Lou Imperato's factory.

Any firearm made in Italy must carry Italian proof marks. No Second or Third Generation Colt has these marks. They are genuine made in America Colts and are recognized as such by collectors and by Colt itself. :v

Back