• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Walker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well fellas, I just completed my first horn. It is a Scottish flat horn approxamatly 8" on the outside curve, wanted something smaller than my 18". The plug is made of horn, with a wooden plug tip, and a pewter top with a Scottish ramapant lion on it. The plug was set in and fastened with iron tac nails. I am thinkin about rigging up a belt clip, because it fit the hip so well, but don't know how "pc" this would be. I'm thinking of making this " hip clip" out of iron to match the tac nails. As soon as I can get a photo of it, I will post it, might need some assistants there. Anybody have any documentation on a belt clip being used on a horn?

What about a belt loop made of leather?
Then you would have a horn holster...

The mountain men did use loops of heavy leather to hold their muzzleloaders on their saddles.

My horn has a violin tuning key for a wooden plug tip...

Bull, I've been collecting photos and info on horns for a while, trying to make mine look more authentic. I have not seen any that were obviously belt clipped, but a lot don't have the attachment/strap showing...just where some kind of strap would be attached. It is possible that some were belt clipped. I like musketman's idea of a leather 'holster'. As a suggestion, why don't you follow up your idea of making the iron belt clip, wear it to a re-enactment somewhere, and see how many experts tell you how wrong you are? You might even get someone to give you a source on your being right....I look forward to seeing the photo when you post it...Hank

quote: ...with a wooden plug tip, and a pewter top with a Scottish ramapant lion on it. Better not leave that laying around after a shoot. Someone might take it for a hip flask of Scotch and try unscrewing the top for "a wee taste O' the dog".
grin.gif

It sounds really neat!!

quote:Originally posted by hank:
As a suggestion, why don't you follow up your idea of making the iron belt clip, wear it to a re-enactment somewhere, and see how many experts tell you how wrong you are?I would make the clip out of brass or some other non-sparking metal, after all, it is gun powder going inside of it...

One final note on clips, flintlock pistols had belt clips, used mostly in navies, I believe, but they did exist back then.

So why not horns?

If it is not P.C. then it will make a fine hunting horn for you and a one-of-a-kind item...

Ooon don'a forget the Highl'nd Pistol 'at wuss belt mounted too! 'Twas all steel with a head knock'n buutt on it which braught na meaning ta the word "kilt".
grin.gif

Latest posts

Back