• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my first muzzleloader buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
so i shot my first buck with a muzzleloader. i use only rb and shoot lots about 200 a year but this was not the way i thought it was going to go.
i only still hunt i give credit to the people who can sit but if im not sore im sleeping so i walk.i went out at 12:00 to my favorite place and this guy gave me a 80 to 100 yrd shot but through the trees. i decided to take it.i hit him and he went down.i reloaded and with all the excitement dropped and ball and the ground. looked around couldn't find it so i grabbed another.now i know i should have kept more than 2 spare but i didnt.
i went to where he was and he bedded down and gave me a neck shot i took it. he got up and staggered now im out so i snuck around through the bush following him he staggered but did not fall.i live about 1/4 mile away i ran home got my 30/06 and went to where he was 2 more shot finally took him down.i found
first shot low on the hind leg
second shot neck shot
third behind the shoulder
fourth in the shoulder
this was the hardest deer ever to put down and the only thing i can think of is that i don't line my iron sights properly when im hunting, at the range no problem. even though i used the 30/06 to finish the deer im a beleiver in putting down and just wished i made a better first shot.
90 gr 3f home cast .54 rb and the gun is sighted in at 1" high at 75 yrds i did find the rb that hit the neck and it was just at the hide on the other side.am i going to use the muzzleloader again you bet wouldn't have it any other way just need more practice.
3068933791_6407dedec7.jpg

Nice buck! Glad you found him. I always take more lead than I'll need just for that reason.

And a good buck at that...yeah, a RB is not a .30-06...does not have the massive shock power of energy transfer, etc...shoulder shots are not the same high percentage that they are with a high power rifle.

Think of the muzzleloader like extended range bow hunting...ideally you want that broadhead (ball) to go right through the heart...take the pumo out of action and he'll fall within sight.

I aim tight up against/behind the point of the elbow...if I hit a couple inches high due to being in a hurry I'll still get a double lung and just have a little further tracking job.

Congratulations...also on sticking with it and finishing him off
:hatsoff:

Hello from Germany!

Waidmanns Heil and congrats to this nice buck. :thumbsup:

For the future shoot always at the boilerroom. With your .54 PRB that is the best area to bring the deer down.

Regards :hatsoff:

Kirrmeister

Wow, this is the second stressful hunting story I've heard on the forum this year. I'm glad he was still laying around after your 1/2 trek to get your other rifle.
Where does your RB hit paper at 100 yds? Did you step out your first shot after it was all done? Maybe he was farther away than 100. :hmm:

my gun shoots about 5" high at 50 1" high at 75 and about 4" low at 100 i haven't stepped it out yet but i think when i shot he was walking slowly and when i shot he stepped ahead and that when the shot hit the low rear leg. keep in mind i was aiming behind the shoulder.when i made the second shot the shot it hit the neck exactly were i aimed
by the way the gun is a t/c renegade

e

congrats! andglad ya got the buck...but..
my gun shoots about 5" high at 50 1" high at 75 and about 4" low at 100
there's a problem there! you need to work on that gun's load combo..thats way too much variance! :(

Back