• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My gun, tell me what's wrong with it.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Maybe we need something like a poll or a series of icons we can tack on the top of a post? Like these:

Okay Stumpkiller, I can take it, I'll go first.

I made this gun, it's supposed to look historical and like it was made in the U S of A. What's wrong with it?

Incidentally, all American's are limp sissies who couldn't punch their collective way out of a paper bag :blah:

best regards

Squire Robin

mygun1.jpg

mygun2.jpg

mygun3.jpg

You mean other than the extremely shoddy workmanship? :p
:kid:

That's very nice, Robin - OK, outstanding. :thumbsup:

I made this gun, it's supposed to look historical and like it was made in the U S of A. What's wrong with it?

Incidentally, all American's are limp sissies who couldn't punch their collective way out of a paper bag :blah:

best regards
Squire Robin

Are you looking for something of a technical/design related response, or is "it's ugly" good enough?
:blah:

Well, you asked for it,
First, Is that "English Walnut" it's stocked in? shouldn't it Yew? :hmm:
Secondly, I see it doesn't have an exterior coned touch hole :nono:
And finally, The scroll work is much too ostentation :nono:

I figger you deserve my scathing critique as I've never gotten over that pasty comment! :blah:

Are you looking for something of a technical/design related response, or is "it's ugly" good enough? :blah:

Please be more specific, which bits are particularly abhorrant? Feel free to tear it to shreds. It can't be right, I know nothing about American guns :shake:

Well, we can't expect a Brit to actually be able to make a decent lookin' American gun now can we. :blah: But then after all, you asked for it. Got ya Robin. :: :kid:

Well, you asked for it,
First, Is that "English Walnut" it's stocked in? shouldn't it Yew? :hmm:

I think it's sugar maple, I bought a Chamber's Early Virginia kit gun and then added my own interpretation :hmm:

Well it is quite obvious that you know nothing about American guns. Why just look at the lines on the monstrosity. And that engraving, what did you use for that, A dremel on high? Boy, i'm glad we are all(or at least were all) frineds here, huh Robin.

Incidentally, all American's are limp sissies who couldn't punch their collective way out of a paper bag
:crackup:
As I've got to know you Robin, I've come to enjoy your "Britishness" quite a bit. :winking:
Do you really want me to pick on that gun? ::

I like it, there are a couple of things I have not seen before but that means nothing, an American made gun may look much like the guns from the builders home countrys infuence, I do not recall seeing that detail at the bottom of the buttstock but cannot say it is wrong and I do like the use of wedges as they were used more often on colonial guns than many realize, now had you claimed it to be a particular school or a replioca of a particular builder there could be some fur flying... but I think it could have been made in the colonies, pre rev war.

The photos aren't clear!You need to mail the weapon to ME!I'll do in depth testing to determine if it comes close to American standards.I'd have to say it looks good on the outside,but needs a year or two of intense testing in the field. :hmm:

had you claimed it to be a particular school or a replioca of a particular builder there could be some fur flying...

It's an early Virginia rifle in the style of Isaac Hayes, I thought that would have been obvious :rolleyes:

I don't even feel vaguely peeved yet, you aren't trying hard enough.

Are you looking for something of a technical/design related response, or is "it's ugly" good enough? :blah:

Please be more specific, which bits are particularly abhorrant? Feel free to tear it to shreds. It can't be right, I know nothing about American guns :shake:

I am the last person to ever pass judgement on another's firearm, invited or not...my persona is wrapped around TC Hawkens, New England, circa 1970 !!

I do have a question though...while admittedly not spending a lot of time looking at 'traditional' rifles, I did notice something that had not caught my eye with other rifles..and that's the "detent ball" in the groove around the end of the ramrod...never noticed one of those before...is that ball just a 'knob' or is it actually a spring loaded detent ball?

(and of course the rifle is very fine looking)

Unfortunetly , I lack the knowledge to comment on the historical accuracy of your rifle , Squire Robin , but I know what I like . I would be proud to own that rifle . Very nice ! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:......BTW , I hear tell in England , it's hard to tell the lads from the lassies :crackup:

the "detent ball" in the groove around the end of the ramrod...never noticed one of those before...is that ball just a 'knob' or is it actually a spring loaded detent ball?

It came with a copper rivet to hold the nose cap on. I gave it a tap and the wood split, so I replaced it with a bolt.

When I went to put the ram rod in the nut was in the way so I cut a groove, the ramrod goes in with a click and stays put :thumbsup:

The nitric stain was causing the brass to corrode so I cobalt/gold plated it. That's why it has the overall appearance of a bathroom fitting :shocking:

had you claimed it to be a particular school or a replioca of a particular builder there could be some fur flying...

It's an early Virginia rifle in the style of Isaac Hayes, I thought that would have been obvious :rolleyes:

I don't even feel vaguely peeved yet, you aren't trying hard enough.
I dunno, maybe if it looked a little less girly and wasn't made by a snot nosed englishman? :shocking: :what: JUST KIDDING!

You gold plated the brass.... For God sakes man what were you thinking !!!

Also, I'm working on my first Guinness, I'll come back after a few more and comment on that cheek piece. This should be fun....

Your Buddy,
SP

Now wait one dang min here we kicked your butts twice if I recall history correctly !! :hmm: So anyhow we got that out of the way the rifle got that bloody english lookin thing goin on there at least thats my opinionits the wedge pins and the carving on the patch box , gold plated the brass no wonder I had to go get my shade 3 brazing glass's out! Any how you need to send her over here to me I'll see if I can fix it for ya :: may take awhile to get it back maybe you wanna get started on another so you have something to shoot till it gets back to ya :blah:

the rifle got that bloody english lookin thing goin on there at least thats my opinionits

I got that book Recreating the American Longrifle, but it was kinda short on pictures of entire guns so I copied bits of this and that. Ain't nothing English about it, don't you recognise your own heritage :rolleyes:

You never kicked our butts, we just got bored. If you want to kick our butts you'll have to learn how to play cricket or soccer or Formula one :blah:

Back