• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Muzzeloading Hunt...or lack thereof..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well.. my neighbor, who happens to be also a GREAT friend and hunting companion, asked me this year what my plans were for the early M'ler hunt ( October 12-13th) that Ohio had newly implemented. After a long discussion we decided we would go to my favorite spot in Ross county, to bowhunt the day before and finish out the weekend with our smokepoles. Well needless to say, I never got a chance even to unload my M'ler from the truck. I shot two does with my Bow, an hour apart from each other.. my buddy also shot a doe about the same time that I was dragging mine to the truck. We ended up going home and butcher our deer.
The next day my brother asked if I wanted to go to our local spot in Logan county, that was the 12th and the M'ler season was officially in. So we made plans to go out the evening of the opening day. Anyhow I got to my stand about 5pm. My brother went to his, we are about 4oo yards apart hunting across a large swamp.An hour goes by and I see a tail flicker.. It's a doe for sure and about 100 yards away. I pull up and train my sights on her..she turns sideways for the perfect shot. I'm almost ready to squeeze the trigger and I hear a loud report from my brothers rifle.I look up and the doe is now looking in the direction of the blast, and turned the wrong way for a good shot, I let her walk.I call him and he says he has one down. So I walk to the truck and leave my rifle... and begin what has to be longest drag of my life...due to the fact we're about 1 mile from the road and this HAS to be the largest button buck I'd ever seen..hanging from the hoof and field dressed he weighed 225 lbs.
The deer was shot at 7pm and were loaded and down the road at around 10:30 pm..
The next day I went out by myself at a different location..had a great day stalking, kicked up a buck, seen a fox, but overall it was very relaxing and I enjoyed it. Shotgun season starts Dec. 2nd.. I'll have another chance to load up the Hawken and go back at it!

Good for you!

I spent two days Friday and Saturday and saw many deer, but no shots. Squirrels abounded, but not what I was after. I stalked pretty close to some in the brush on Friday, but too much obstruction to get a shot when they jumped. OH and a woodpecker came by on Saturday where my gound blind is and said "hello"... that was pretty cool.

LD

I hate you guys. :cursing:

I tore my bicep literally 3 days before the season opened here and I'll be cleared for activity again literally the day before it closes.

Back