• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new .45!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancote

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and new to ML after my dad gave me his old T/C .45 Hawken. He had it for years (since 80's) but maybe used it only once. It looks like he may have not cleaned it by the look of some greenish residue in the barrel. I am going to clean it once I get some supplies I ordered from Track of the Wolf. I really want to hunt deer with it next fall and shoot it regularly up until then. I love traditional stuff and have always wanted to get into this!! I hope the gun will be ok for deer. I like the idea of shooting prb as I have read this gun shoots them pretty well. Any suggestions on loads, how to clean an old gun out well for reviving its shooting life, and deer hunting would be really appreciated!! thank you!

In Va. the minimum powder charge is 50 grains. That's a good place to start and go up in 5 grain increments. My best deer loads are between 60 grains and 70 grains; I'm referring to 3F.

if its a hawken it can u stout loads. check tc on line they have load data. follow it for the model it is.

Latest posts

Back