• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Finished up this one last night. Browned all the trim and barrel and pitted up the outside of the barrel a bit just for a little bit of a rough look.
100_0422.jpg

TC Renegade .50cal

First time ever with this rifle at 60yards with 80gr Pyrodex RS, 250gr conical. Can't say what conical otherwise they will delete my post :youcrazy:
100_0418.jpg

A good shooting rifle so far! I have a barrel blank that i am going to buy off a buddy on another forum but it will be a .54cal that needs fitting to the barrel as far as sight and wedge dovetails. Never done that before so I will be reading up on it soon.

Nice work and nice shooting! The Renegade was my first ML rifle although I only shoot patched RB. A long time ago I replaced the original barrel with the longer, slow-twist Green Mountain drop in barrel. Recently had the original barrel reamed out to a 62 caliber smoothbore. Always found the relatively flat and broad butt to be comfortable no matter what the load.

Jeff

Nice looking gun I have one also its my only one right now, yours looks really nice I need to see about spitting mine up a bit

Im not sure where it went but it wasn't in there when i got the stock. TC is sending me one for free... Its only going to take 2 months however. I think they are making it from a fresh batch of steel coming in :surrender:

Yes, I refinish gun stocks as a side job. I've been kept pretty busy the past few weeks, so I had been warmed up when this one came along :haha:

I really like the way the stock turned out though, very pretty wood.

I've always like the Renegade. My first hunting muzzleloader was a Renegade in 54 caliber back in '82. I've shot T/C Maxi-balls with it behind 120 grains of black powder. The shallow rifling with the relatively fast twist (1:48, I believe) liked them better then the roundballs. Every deer hit with it goes down, even if the shot placement wasn't perfect. My 22 year old son uses it now. Shot the right eye out of a buck with it a few weeks ago as it was a head on shot at 40 yards. I don't recommend he do it again.

Those Renegades are the work horses of production muzzleloaders. Good job, looks nice. :thumbsup:

Just curious as to how you pitted the barrel. Always on the lookout for new techniques. Bill

Plug the barrel and nipple, put in in a box "waterproof of course" and then cover it over with coffee grinds and leave it until you get the pitting that you like. I did very little, spread out here and there pitting on mine.

BullRunBear, You said: Recently had the original barrel reamed out to a 62 caliber smoothbore.

That makes it a 20 GA, right. Are you using it as a shotgun? How has it worked out? Was it a .50 cal to start with? Sorry for all the questions, but I have the original .50 Cal barrel from my Renegade so gathering information.

-Mike

MikeC2,

It was a 50 caliber but that big, thick barrel had plenty of metal to bore out. I haven't had a chance to shoot it but hope to in the next day or so. I'll post about it as soon as I can. I have the gear for shooting both as a shotgun and for patched round ball.

Jeff

say pard who redrilled your old barrel ?did he bore down too the breach plug or dose it have to be removed? oh and how much do they charge?oh one more what was the diminsion across the flats 1"or 15/16

Hay I realy like that coffee ground method what kind of time are we talkin about hours or days?

depends on how much you want it rusted/pitting. I did mine for 3 days and very minimum pitting on the outside. My barrel was already browned though so im sure that slowed down the process.

Back