• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New Trade Rifle Arrived Today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gzolas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, the good news is that the fit and finish is very, very nice. I'm quite impressed with the quality of the stock and how well the parts are fit. It's a nice gun to hold as well. Hardware is simple, but clean.

But...

The receiver end of the barrel is chock full of engraved writing! I'm used to seeing the caliber and manufacturer's name, maybe model number and ser. number.

But the left side of the gun has (in addition):

BEFORE USING GUN READ WARNINGS IN
INSTRUCTION MANUAL AVAILABLE FROM
INVESTARM SPA 25060 MARCHENO ITALY

On the same side, it also has:

and

--MADE IN ITALY--
BLACK POWDER ONLY

The top of the barrel has the manufacturer's name and theoretical Connecticuit town name, and the right side of the barrel has:

TRADE RIFLE .50

In case I didn't see the big CAL .50 on the other side.

Good gosh! I guess it's the reality of the moronic litigious society in which we Americans live these days, but at least that huge three line warning could have been a friggin' sticker, not forever indellibly etched for all eternity...

I fear any other affordable production gun I buy will be graffittied with the same legal b.s., so I'm not sure if I should just accept it or go for an older used black powder rifle that was made before the straight jacket society mindset...

Any advice?

Here's the defaced side. The writing isn't really white - that's an artifact from the camera flash. Depending on how the light hits the barrel, the writing is either invisible or very visible.

74108787.CR6Mbt8Q.jpg

Welcome to a world without comon sense. We're dumb as a post and if'n you don't warns us of the mostest little problem we could have, we will get hurt and its your fault and we'll suit .. :bull: :bull: :surrender:

No, I did'nt bother reading the manual, I did'nt have time...

Sorry you were disappointed... those warning marks are on newer T/C's, probably all other newer Lyman/Investarms/Cabelas guns, Ruger products for many years and many others. A sad fact which I deplore.

Sometimes you can roll markings out a bit with a very hard round metal rod like a socket wrench set's socket extension bar. You need to put a "cup" on each end to make it work kind of like a kitchen rolling pin. Have not tried it on a new gun, likely to hurt finish... just have done it on old, no finish guns. Moved metal on dings, initals stamped on and Operation Identifcation numbers vibro-engraved on by prior owners.

Marks can be filed off but there goes the finish... you could search this site for tips.

You might keep it and use it until you find a used replacement you like. I go to gunshows in Northern California and very seldom see used Trade Rifles... see more Great Plains and quite a few T/C Hawkens.

Good luck however you decide.

Those marks are there to protect you from yourself. The Courts tired of complaints filed by fools who misused a product and hurt themselves, and being in the habit of giving a government solution to every problem, some Nannygate Judges insist on making manufacturers make their products idiot proof. And, there are Nannygate-type expert witnesses who provide the basis for these kinds of rulings.

So, to avoid being sued- the cost of the litigation is prohibitive, even when the manufacturer wins- they put all these warnings on the barrels. Its the only way the manufacturer can protect himself from those clerks in big discount houses who separate the rifle from the shipping box, with the manual, and instruction, then sell the gun to a customer, and can't find the box it came with!

If you want a gun that doesn't have all the manure written on the barrel, you are either going to have to make the gun yourself, or pay someone to make you a gun. The last alternative is going to cost you much more money. I have a fine American Fowler built from scratch by a gunmaker, and it has the gauge of the barrel, the serial number, and the maker's name. That is all. I am proud to show other shooters his name, and tell them how to get in touch with him.

Well, now you've got a 50 cal, you can get a GM dropin barrel that will only have the ser#, caliber, and "for BP only" on the barrel......

Could get the 2nd barrel in 54 with a true RB twist rate......

P.S. Let us know how it shoots!!! Good luck!!!

I bought my first GPR in 1981. It has the same warning, except it is located on a lower flat, just foreward of the nose cap. I purchased a GPR kit this last December. All the warning was on top, between the rear sight and the breach plug. When I draw filed the barrel, most of the writing was taken down. Then I browned the barrel, which seemed to make the remaining writing to fade into the finish. Now, at first glance, you can't see the writing. You really have to look to see it. Like others have said, it's there because of government regs. Thank all the liberals and laywers for that. With all said and done, it won't hurt the function of your rifle. It's still a great rifle that will put the ball where you want and meat on the table. Just have fun! :thumbsup:

well, at the risk of sonding like a spin doctor, lawyers are creatures of the economics of public demand- just like burger joints, bars, grocery stores, and sporting goods stores. they do what we pay 'em to do, and if there wasn't a demand, they's go do something else. what cinches the deal is juries

i worked for a very smart fellow who told me that 'juries are the conscience of the community.' that's why a moron in Los Angeles who blows off half his hand by loading a blackpowder gun with smokeless powder gets a zillion dollars, and that's why a moron in, say, Wheeling West Virginia, who did the same thing would get a new name:

lefty

next time you get a jury duty notice.....

that's my tirade fo the evening

I guess we can just be glad the barrel isn't also marked:

THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA HAS DETERMINED THAT THIS CAN DESTROY CANCER (AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT GETS IN IT'S WAY)

zonie :)

I guess we can just be glad the barrel isn't also marked:

THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA HAS DETERMINED THAT THIS CAN DESTROY CANCER (AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT GETS IN IT'S WAY)
LOL!!! :rotf:

I agree it's not the government that makes manufacturers put the disclaimers on everything. It's manufacturer's self defense to our bogus legal system, specifically gutless judges who won't throw out manure cases, and the tremendous leeway lawyers are allowed to use in JURY SELECTION :shake: A jury of my peers? Not a chance.

So it sounds like I might be able to file, or have someone else file or grind the writing and re-finish the barrel? That's plausible without leaving the area scalloped?

I'm pretty sure the State of California will find Black poweder causes cancer. After all they've made that determination on everyting else. :shake:

Tarheel,
You could remove the barrel, sights and tang. Remove the blue finish. Lightly draw file the entire length of the barrel to keep it level. Brown the barrel and tang. Since the Trade Rifle has brass furniture, you don't have to worry about browning anything else. Brown is not reflective like blue. Makes the stamping very hard to see. When you are finished, you'll have a brown finished Trade Rifle. This will be your rifle, not just another blue finished Trade Rifle off the shelf. If I can do it, anyone can. Just a thought.

Hopefully they don't start putting it on Historicly accurate muskets Man would that mess up a bess barrel......mark...Oops hope I didnt give anybody any ideas :youcrazy:

Come on guys. I can't help it :cursing: . Here in California, everything causes cancer and you can catch AIDS from anthing that moves. You can buy black powder, but don't tell anyone :nono: . You'll be put on someone's terrorist list :shake: . I'm leaving here as soon as I can :rotf: .

I held the gun up to my shoulder again tonight, and I like the feel. On the lock side with only a little writing, I like the look.

I think it's a keeper.

Cowpoke and others, thanks for the tips. It makes it an easier decision to keep it knowing I have a backup plan if I ever get sick of seeing those durned safety warnings.

ive got a deerstalker and i noticed all of the writing too . . . looks like it was done w/ an electric pencil. it was very off-putting at first, but i guess i will live with it

Latest posts

Back