• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My persona can use the 1903 Springfield too

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdirondakDD

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just recieved my Tenn rifle from TVM. By chance I saw the story of one of the most famous Tenn sharpshooters, hunter, hero and muzzel loader. He was known for his ability to outshoot most of the men in his valley and for being a conscientious objector to killing men. I may not chose to be him, but one of his friends. They hunted for food, were somewhat poor, and lived somewhat of a frontier life. No electricity, no phone. I can dress in ordinary clothes and be PC. I have a copy of a diary he kept so I have plenty of authentic information. Time to gather more info so I can do better job on a bio.

Alvin York more than likely used an M-1917 "Enfield" in 30-06. His division was required to turn in their M-1903's when they got to France.

Lou,

If you have an interest in the culture and history of Sgt.York,why don't you come on down to the York Memorial Chunkgun Shoot next March. You'll be surprised at what goes on! Several of the York family still compete in the match which is held at the exact same spot on Sgt.York's farm where it was held when his ancestor,ole Coonrod Pyle,settled the valley way back in the 1700's.

Waterman, there are two different thoughts on what rifle Sgt.York actually used,but IMO it was the '03. Jump up to the "Flintlock" Board and read my couple of replys in the thread "Peep Sights On Southern Mountain Rifles" No need in my repeating myself here :winking:

According to York's son, while Cpl. York was given an Enfield in France, he exchanged it for an '03 Springfield as he liked the sights better. It was a Springfield that he used when he captured the German Army.

Can someone find that info from the National Rifleman magazine. I saw it earlier this year. TIA.

It is in the March 2005 issue. It says his son said he didn't much cotton to the 1917 rifle and somehow finagled a swap for an '03 Springfield. Said he liked the sights better on the '03 because he was able to lead his target better with the open sights.

Like I said on the Flintlock Board....Sgt.York's son,Andy,showed me Sgt.York's diary which clearly says he was given the option of an '03 or a 1917 when he arrived in France.He chose the '03 because he liked the sights better.Can you get a better primary source of information?

Each year in March the[url] Sgt.Alvin[/url] York Memorial Chunkgun Match is held in Pall Mall,Tennessee on Alvin York's farm.Rifle matches have been held at this same spot going all the way back to the Colonial Period. Come down to Pall Mall next March and experience what a chunkgun match was like back in the 1920's-30's when Sgt.York was present and shooting in competition.Scrounge up a pair of overalls,a wide 1930's necktie and a fedora hat and you'll fit right in :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correcto, he once stated he did not like the aperture sight on the Enfield. But the peep rear didn't seem to bother him when gobbling in those Kraut turkeys.

Yes it is A. York.
In his diary I beleive he mentions his(a) 45. In the movie he seemd to take pistols off of the Germans. Does anyone know if he had a Colt45(1911). Would it be usual for a sargent to have a pistol. I liked the fedora his brother had in the movie.

I read somewhere that the reason he used a Luger in the movie was that the studio armorers couldn't get a 1911 (45) to work with blanks. I also remember reading,that he, as stated before, traded/swapped/finaggled an '03 instead of the issued enfield.

Yes noncomissioned officers were issued pistols,.45s. York did use his issued .45 and not a Luger as shown in the movie.

Man if they locked down the 30-30post, you all gonna get us all in dutch. 30-06, now we talkin about somethin I can relate to....

(over in the non forums)

BTW 03s and 17s were still issued at the onset of WWII. Sure glad Mr Garrand came along when he did!

Back