• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My sob story.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have taken the last week and a half as vacation to deer hunt, and have been bowhunting a lot since October 1st.

In that time, I have seen (I believe) 23 bucks waiting on the one that really makes my heart skip a beat. Well, it skipped this morning at 9:10.

I was sitting on the ground with a hickory tree at my back in an area that I have taken some nice bucks from in the past. Around 9:00 I stood to stretch and pee. That completed, I turned toward my tree and grabbed my .45 Southern flinter and checked the prime out of habit.

Before sitting down I heard what I thought was a deer coming from behind my tree (toward a slight rise 50 yards away).

Above the rise, the first thing I saw coming my way were antlers, big antlers! He was outside his ears, tall and really dark colored (looked like chocolate pudding). I silently said "there's my buck!", without any doubts. The buck was quartering hard toward me as I thumbed the cock back and set the trigger. His gait was a quick walk as he seemed to know where he was going.

I let him get to TWENTY YARDS and bleated with my mouth as I knew he would wind me if he went much farther. As he stopped he quartered really hard toward me. This whole time I was tracking his shoulder with my rifle. Now as he stood looking right through me, I felt the angle was too steep, so I brought the sights to bear on his throat patch (a shot I don't much care for by the way).

Just as I was ready to fire, and in one motion he dropped, spun, and blew running back the way he had come! :surrender:

No shot was fired and I sat there mumbling unmentionables to myself! :rotf:

Got home and fired my rifle at an index card left hanging on the backyard snag. Drilled it , cleaned rifle, reloaded and ready for another sorti. Ha!

Having fun in Indiana.

Good hunting guys, Skychief. :thumbsup:

This is why I only hunt for meat. Too much disappointment in going for trophy's. Plus they don't taste as good as the young ones.

You are right Capper. The younger ones do taste better, but i eat the old ones too. I have two does in the freezer, one with a recurve and one with a smoothbore. Looking for a bigger buck is just an excuse for me to spend more time hunting! :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with that.

I'd hunt every week of the year if they'd let me.

Well, I do for Coyote, but I'm not going to eat that scum.

I'm thinking you shouldn't have peed right there :hmm: .

Oh well, take heart, now you have something to look forward to for whole nother year. And he'll be bigger next year :wink: . Bill

You break my heart. Maybe you'll get another shot at him. That doesn't happen (seeing a buck like that) very often.

That's why they say it's "Hunting and not Catching" or is that the line for fishing. :haha:

Part of the game. Think most of us have been busted a few times.

Shot fired or not, it's those moments that keep us coming back for more. :thumbsup:

Jethro is right. It is moments like that, that keep me going back. These are the times that can make a season. Some of my best seasons, never put a deer down, but the memories etched in my mind are priceless. :thumbsup:

Back