• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my son smoked his first ML deer today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho Ron

58 Cal.
Reaction score
This year my son Jacob wanted to shoot a deer with his ML and he also wanted to back pack a deer. Well he got both of his wishes today. This is his first ML deer. He got her on a youth any weapon doe hunt. After he got her down the fun stopped. The 460 gr 500 S&W bullets didn't have a chance to show pentration. He shot her in the neck as she was looking at us.
We snuck up on this deer from down in a small canyon. When we climbed out of the canyon she was just over 100 yards. Something about us got her attention and she came closer. He shot her with his TC Renegade with a GM LRH barrel. The load was 80 gr of Pyrodex P with a paper patched 460 gr Lee 500 S&W bullet. Ron

Jacobdeer08-3-A.jpg

Jacobdeer08-2.jpg

Outstanding! Gotta be proud and looking forward to the next hunt with him. In no small part for having a youthful packer like that! It's been a lot of years since I packed one that way.

A big Waidmanns Heil to your son!

What was the problem with the bullet? Why was there no penetration? Was it a HP bullet?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Congratulations to your Son for a fine shot!
:hatsoff:

PS: Is hunter orange not required out there?

Kirrmeister said:
What was the problem with the bullet? Why was there no penetration? Was it a HP bullet?
Kirrmeister

No problem with the bullet.The deer was facing him at about 70 yards. He shot her in the neck and the bullet went all the way through. An angled shot through the chest would have been better to see penetration but would have ruined meat. So I was happy with his shot. Ron

Way to go Jacob!
I only wonder if the intrigue with backpacking one will still be there after this? Kinda makes you feel old when the Kids start packing there own animals out....especially whole. Great job, nice pictures.
Idaho PRB

IDAHO FISH AND GAME
HEADQUARTERS NEWS RELEASE
Boise, ID

Date: November 10, 2008
(208) 334-3700

fish and game commission adopts hunter orange policy

Idaho Fish and Game Commission during its November 6 meeting in Lewiston adopted an advisory policy on hunter orange, and commissioners heard updates on wolf research, deer and elk survival and on a proposed fee increase.

The hunter orange policy is not mandatory but recommends hunters wear hunter orange whenever appropriate for the hunt. The policy still requires hunter orange during Fish and Game sponsored hunts, primarily youth hunts.

Hunter orange also is required while hunting on wildlife management areas where pheasant are stocked.

Congrats to your son, a monumental day!!

I hope to get my youngest out in decemeber for his first flinter deer.

Wess

Idaho PRB said:

IDAHO FISH AND GAME
HEADQUARTERS NEWS RELEASE
Boise, ID

Date: November 10, 2008
(208) 334-3700

fish and game commission adopts hunter orange policy

Idaho Fish and Game Commission during its November 6 meeting in Lewiston adopted an advisory policy on hunter orange, and commissioners heard updates on wolf research, deer and elk survival and on a proposed fee increase.

The hunter orange policy is not mandatory but recommends hunters wear hunter orange whenever appropriate for the hunt. The policy still requires hunter orange during Fish and Game sponsored hunts, primarily youth hunts.

Hunter orange also is required while hunting on wildlife management areas where pheasant are stocked.

Not to my knowledge. If they do it will be imposed in the 09 season. The commission also allowed the use of scopes on muzzleloader hunts and allowing the senior citizens to get left over youth tags, but it will start in 09. None of it was a good thing. Ron

Back