• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my squirrel opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Kentucky squirrel season opened Saturday, but I couldn’t make theirs, so I had mine today. Mine will be hard to beat.

I was in a primitive mood, so I wore moccasins, leggings, breechclout, linen smock and felt round hat. I carried my Jackie Brown 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore loaded with 70 grains 2F, a brown paper wad, tow, 1 ounce of #5 shot, tow, primed with 4F using my little gourd primer. I carried my double bag, game bag, butcher knife and belt bag for the modern necessities.

The day was tailor made for squirrel hunting, partly cloudy, totally calm wind, morning temperature 58° rising to 80° when I left mid-afternoon. Because we had been having a long hot wet spell, and last night a mass of much cooler air moved in, there was heavy fog along all the waterways, and dew was as heavy as it can get. I was wet skin deep to the knees before I had moved 50 yards from the car.

I collected a large fox squirrel and a small gray, the gun was perfect. Lot’s of good sneaking, hiding, strategizing and some plain good luck made it an old-fashioned squirrel hunt, the likes of which I can never get enough of. That was grand, but not the best part. I love wandering the woods in primitive garb with a flintlock smoothbore, the feel of the ground through my moccasins, the use of age-old technology and gear I’ve made and made my own. For some reason, that’s what this one was all about, for me, and I enjoyed it more than I can describe. Shooting squirrels didn’t interfere with my enjoyment, but it took second place, today. Having a beautiful, delicate little whitetail fawn panic and bolt right by me, ten yards away, jumping like a gazelle and waving that showy white tail didn’t break the spell, either.

I think it will take a while for this hunt to wear off.

Spence

Great to see you old friend, your looking good too.
I am glad you got to do this hunt with so much style all made by you, that is beyond my capabilities :hatsoff:

B.

Great photos, especially that first one. It reminds me of a painting.

It looks like you had a really good time.

:hatsoff:

So good to see you out and getting after the limb chickens there compadre! Your stories still touch me, even after all these years! Just remember...old guys rule!! :wink: :haha:

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

I'm going to try for squirrels with my .62 this fall. I'm torn between using the #4 or #6 shot that I have. The fact that you used #5's doesn't help. LOL Maybe I'll just use a mixed load - since there's no reason I can't do so with my smoothie. :hmm:

Nicely done, Spence! That gray looks like it is cross bred with a fox squirrel, and I have often wondered if that was possible. You are indeed a wordsmith. Keep yer powder dry......robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice partner!!! :thumbsup:

Can't thank you enough for taking us along again.

You mentioned not letting the taking of your quarry interfere with the enjoyment of your experience (paraphrasing of course). How better can one express the feelings of a hunt/trek? I do not know :idunno: .

Maybe I've missed it at some point Spence, but am wondering, what's in your smoothbore's patchbox? :hmm:

As always, thanks for posting for us. The place wouldn't be the same without you.

Best regards, Skychief

Skychief said:
Maybe I've missed it at some point Spence, but am wondering, what's in your smoothbore's patchbox? :hmm:
Right now it has a coil worm and a bunch of tow for cleaning the bore. My ramrod is all wood, no threaded tip, but has screw-threads carved to fit the worm. I rarely clean in the field, but that rig does a good job if I need to.

Spence

Great stuff Spence. I always enjoy your adventures, just can't figure if it's cause of the adventure itself, or how well written up your activities always are.
And I too wondered about your patch box, partly because we rarely see patch box contents discussed (usually it's bags) and partly because that box has such a sharp looking lid. Is there a name for that style sliding lid?

Thank you for sharing your adventure. Makes me even more excited for our opener in a few days.

Brokennock said:
And I too wondered about your patch box, partly because we rarely see patch box contents discussed (usually it's bags) and partly because that box has such a sharp looking lid. Is there a name for that style sliding lid?
I doubt it, probably an idea of Jackie's. If there's a name/style for it, I don't know about it.

BTW, now that you guys made me look in it, there is also a bird wing feather for plugging the touchhole and a spare flint.

As far as my tales, I'm sure there is a large percentage of snakeoil to them, because all my hunting is done for routine, non-maneating species on my own small farm. It may have been fifteen years since I hunted anywhere else. Not many adventures there. :wink: :wink:

Spence

Semantics. Replace "adventures" with "experiences" maybe? For you. For us, going along with you is adventure, experiencing a different place and , in a way, a different time.
I would put hunting with you on your farm (I know you sold it, but in my mind it's always yours) on my bucket list if I had one.

Back