• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My wheellock finished!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemorad

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After twelve months, my first (maybe only)wheellock is finished!

Stats:
European walnut stock blank from Dunlap.
Assembled unpolished wheel lock from The Rifle Shoppe. Original cast-in engraving on main lock plate was draw-filed flat and re-engraved with my own design.
Barrel is a 31" .58 caliber Rice swamped barrel from Track of the Wolf.
Double set triggers(internally modified to strike backward instead of up) from Track of the Wolf.
Sights are modified castings from Track.
Ramrod pipes are castings from Track.
Trigger guard, buttplate, nosecap, and sideplate are hand-cut, hand-shaped from sheet steel from the local hardware store.
Stained and finished with Laurel Mountain Forge stains (mixed Lancaster maple, cherry, and walnut), then LMF Permalyn sealer and gunstock finish, hand rubbed, followed with Johnson's paste wax.

Design was inspired by the work of several pieces by Elias Schintzel, who worked in the Berlin/Brandenburg area from the late 1600's to the early 1700's. Details came largely from photographs of four Schintzel rifles in George Shumway's book, Jaeger Rifles, George Shumway Publisher, NY, 2003.

Haven't shot it yet, but it seems to spark reasonably well with cube crystal pyrite, so I'm hopeful.

Now on to my next project! (Don't know what yet.)

Cheers to all,
Hemo

DSC_0076.jpg
[/URL][/img]
DSC_0080.jpg
[/URL][/img]
DSC_0089.jpg
[/URL][/img]
DSC_0078.jpg
[/URL][/img]
DSC_0084.jpg
[/URL][/img]
DSC_0092.jpg
[/URL][/img]
DSC_0091.jpg
[/URL][/img]
DSC_0083.jpg
[/URL][/img]
DSC_0088.jpg
[/URL][/img]
DSC_0085.jpg
[/URL][/img]
DSC_0086.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I guess you graduated after your first try. Good
going. Excellent work.
That was quite a job getting the rear set trigger
past that massive main spring...right ?
Wulf

wulf said:
I guess you graduated after your first try. Good
going. Excellent work.
That was quite a job getting the rear set trigger
past that massive main spring...right ?
Wulf

Actually, the rear trigger cleared the big main spring without a problem. Tricky part was getting the set trigger to strike backward onto the sear instead of upward, like on a flintlock. Solved by soldering an upright piece of steel onto the top of the rear trigger striker bar.

Thanks to all for your comments!

Wow, thats very impressive. For some reason its your sideplate that really struck me..cut from a piece of hardware store flat steel. Stunning. J

Beautiful arm -- a work of useful art.
Are the lockplate and back of the barrel gold plated!?

Absolutley fantastic! Great work. And the photos weren't bad either! Seriously, you are to be congratulated for a superb job of building a beautiful firearm.

Alden said:
Beautiful arm -- a work of useful art.
Are the lockplate and back of the barrel gold plated!?

No, no gold plating. The round wheel cover on the lock is yellow brass. The greenish-yellow coloring on some of the photos is coming from an overhead fluorescent light.

Thanks to all for your comments!

Hemo

Latest posts

Back