• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mystery rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggin

32 Cal
Reaction score
Could y'all help me possibly id this rifle. It's a percussion backlock. It appears to be 45cal with possibly handcut rifling. The only markings on it is JM stamped on the bottom of the barrel at the breech end and what appears to be 2 brass strips inleted into the top of the breech.I read an old post on the forum that said that this style of rifle was popular in Mississippi/Arkansas pre civil war era.I don't know but I am down in Arkansas. Any help would be appreciated thanks Biggin PS. Ill post more pictures when i can my internet slow.
1000004848.jpg

Could y'all help me possibly id this rifle. It's a percussion backlock. It appears to be 45cal with possibly handcut rifling. The only markings on it is JM stamped on the bottom of the barrel at the breech end and what appears to be 2 brass strips inleted into the top of the breech.I read an old post on the forum that said that this style of rifle was popular in Mississippi/Arkansas pre civil war era.I don't know but I am down in Arkansas. Any help would be appreciated thanks Biggin PS. Ill post more pictures when i can my internet slow. View attachment 344052
Any markings behind or on the lock? You might Use magnification.

Thanks for moving it Eterry. I actually got around to showing it to a guy I know who is a gunsmith that prefers to work on antique firearms. I haven't been able to go see him because he's been sick. However I did take it to him today and at first glance he seemed to believe that it might be a kit gun made in Spain probably from the 1950s or 60s. It has at least one very unique brass inlay ont cheek rest that he says has a similar style to those gun. I forgot to write the name down ill have to ask him again. Sorry for picture being upside down me and technology ain't getting along today.
1000004856-jpg.344286

Attachments

• 1000004856.jpg
    1000004856.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 117
That gun was made using an old original barrel and lock. I think the rest of it is from a Spanish or Italian import. If the bore is good, see how it shoots.

That gun was made using an old original barrel and lock. I think the rest of it is from a Spanish or Italian import. If the bore is good, see how it shoots.
Thanks Sam I hadn't thought about. I left it with my gunsmith buddy to check it out. Hopefully get to shoot it soon.

Latest posts

Back