• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NC Y Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thing

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a nice y buck yesterday afternoon. Approx weight of about 140 lbs. He came out with 3 does from heavy pine tree area. They hung up in heavy brush and refused to come into clearing. I am sure they were milling around waiting for dark to come before venturing into fields. I watched them for about 35 minutes and light was fading quickly.
There was a small opening in front of my stand were I could possibly get a shot if the buck would venture in to it. Suddenly he started moving and actually cam into the small opening. I could see his face and 3/4 of his neck. I aimed the 54 flinter on his neck and set the trigger
sighted on his neck and touched it off. He went down instantly and never moved a muscle. I got real lucky that he moved into the area of this small opening. The shot was roughly 30/35 yards/
I went back to get my sidexside and my son in law to help drag him up the hill to field were we loaded him into the vehicle. I was soaked in sweat as it must have been in the upper 60 to 70 degrees. To hot for hunting .The rifle is a 54 cal 43 inch barrel flintlock I have pictures somewhere on this forum when I was having it built.. Next trip out I am going to uses the 45 caliber flintlock . I had gotten one with it last year. Unfortunately .None of the pictures I had taken came out. Not sure why I am still attempting and hoping to be able to get then out of my camera. I gave the deer to a needy family .

If I can secure the pictures I will post then.

Sounds like a great shot and an all around good hunt. Thanks for sharing it with us! Kentucky's modern gun season opens this Saturday and I'll be carrying my early Lancaster .45, which is modern enough for me. Killed my very first deer with a .45 and that caliber has been my favorite ever since. Makes a great squirrel gun with light loads too, but head shots are pretty much mandatory. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats.Good to see someone my age still doin it.Our season opens on the 19th.ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO ROUNDBALL HE WAS FROM Va I THINK.Griz

Way to go partner! If the pics come out, we'd all love to see. Sunday dinner at your house! :wink: :thumbsup:

I started out with a .45, too, and it's always been my favorite. My go-to flintlock has been my .45 for years. With a couple of .45s I've taken bobcats, deer and squirrel. Prefer my .36 for squirrel, though.

ny griz said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats.Good to see someone my age still doin it.Our season opens on the 19th.ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO ROUNDBALL HE WAS FROM Va I THINK.Griz
I think he rolled off the table and vanished under the couch or wherever dropped stuff disappears to when it falls on the floor.

He hasn't visited our site since March, 2016 and I heard he quit visiting other muzzleloading forums about the same time.

He was from North Carolina.

Zonie said:
ny griz said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
He hasn't visited our site since March, 2016 and I heard he quit visiting other muzzleloading forums about the same time.

He was from North Carolina.

Too bad, I liked his posts. He killed as many deer as I wish I could.

I hope nothing serious happened to him.

As I recall speaking to him once via e mail . He went back to his long time interest of photography

He may be back someday..

He's OK guys. Age, family illness, etc. has kept him out of the fields of late.

Back