• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ne spike hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutshurt

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just made this one from a 24 oz ball peen hammer head and a real nice curly ash handle. Have a little copper wire and brass bands added for looks and a good grip when chopping.

DSCN0577.jpg

DSCN0590.jpg

DSCN0588.jpg

Darrel

Beautiful! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Great work.
You can give a picture for copper wire up close?

Cutshurt: You have a very good hand with a hammer and file. Very, very nicely done. I have a couple of ball peen heads I have been saving for such a project, but lacking the drift to open up the handle hole has prevented me from proceeding. How did you do yours?

Thanks guys :)

The drift I use I got from blacksmith depot,I use a large rounded chisle to open and strech the holes then use the drift. I also have a ball peen hammer head that I modified as a pre-drift. So chisle first, then the pre drift then the final drift.

Darrel

Fine work Sir. Im glad to see someone else likes file work as much as I do. I know the drift you are talking about. Blacksmith Depot is getting real proud of their stuff! :grin:

Thank you :) yes I do like file work it can take a nice looking hawk or knife and make it a great looking one, if done with taste, you can and I have over done it a few times. Yes blacksmith depot does like there stuff a bit pricey laitly but they do carry qualty items. You can find them on ebay from time to time at a bit lower price.

Darrel

A few years ago I was getting great stuff on ebay forcheap. But like anything else people caught on. I got a 350 lb swage block local off craigs list. It was propping up a boat and trailer I was looking for. Bought the boat and the man said if I was willing to move it( swage block) I could have it! I nevr produced a chainfall so fast in my life!

Really nice work! I love the file work. Did you use a power or trip hammer? Or was it all elbow grease? Great job! :thumbsup:

Its all elbow greese, I do have an angle grinder and a bench grinder but I use files for 90% of the shaping, and all hand hammering no trip or power hammer heer, cant aford them and no room for them in my little shop either.

Darrel

Latest posts

Back