• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help determining size and source for round ball for this beast

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy,

Now to the thing that spurred me to join this forum. I just acquired this beast of a 6-Bore Dangerous game gun. I am looking to shoot it (at least once or twice) and I am looking for some recommendations on ball size and source for such a beast. I will keep people informed as I learn more about the history of the gun in the antique section of this forum.

Note: I never know how much to push on the dial when measuring, so I took 3 measurements and posted them all here for review. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• (SHARE-1) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    (SHARE-1) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    567.5 KB
  • (SHARE-2) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    (SHARE-2) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    588.2 KB
  • (SHARE-3) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    (SHARE-3) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    852.2 KB
  • (SHARE-4) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    (SHARE-4) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    409.9 KB
  • (SHARE-5) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    (SHARE-5) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    638.3 KB
  • (SHARE-6) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    (SHARE-6) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    496.9 KB
  • (SHARE-7) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    (SHARE-7) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    256.4 KB
  • (SHARE-8) (Measure1) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    (SHARE-8) (Measure1) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    235 KB
  • (SHARE-9) (Measure2) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    (SHARE-9) (Measure2) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    244.8 KB
  • (SHARE-10) (Measure3) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    (SHARE-10) (Measure3) GREENER-PERCUSSION-6-BORE (1861).jpg
    254 KB
T J, first, welcome to the forum from Indiana. Next, lacking a round ball, you could shoot a corresponding weight of shot since you want to shoot it. It wouldn’t be the same as a round ball but it would allow the opportunity to fire it. That is a beautiful rifle. Keep us posted.
And thanks for sharing.

I am actually going to have a jag made ... I have a buddy who makes me my things for the 8-Bore ... I am getting him drawings this weekend and he will make them for the 6 bore now too

Find a piece of lead slightly larger than the bore. Next drop a 12” long or so piece of brass rod slightly smaller than the bore diameter down the bore. Then carefully (use only plastic, leather, or similar), while the brass rod is still in the bore, drive the piece of lead down the bore a few inches. Use gravity to work the brass rod like a slide hammer against the piece of lead, knocking the lead out of the bore. You can then measure the diameter of the lead to determine the bore diameter.

Researching my copy of Greener's book "The Gun and it's Development" he mentions a load of 10 or even 12 drams of powder for an 8 bore spherical ball. 10 drams is around 280 grains. That will get you started when you find a 6 bore ball. The recoil is said to be not noticeable when shooting at game. Please do a video of you (or a gullible friend) shooting it for the first time. The 6 bore will weigh more than an 8 bore so you might want to start out with the suggested starting load of 10 drams, or even less.;)

He also mentions using a 4 bore with 12 to 14 drams of powder. Have at it and may the Lord be with you!

Last edited:
Researching my copy of Greener's book "The Gun and it's Development" he mentions a load of 10 or even 12 drams of powder for an 8 bore spherical ball. 10 drams is around 280 grains. That will get you started when you find a 6 bore ball. The recoil is said to be not noticeable when shooting at game. Please do a video of you (or a gullible friend) shooting it for the first time. The 6 bore will weigh more than an 8 bore so you might want to start out with the suggested starting load of 10 drams, or even less.;)

He also mentions using a 4 bore with 12 to 14 drams of powder. Have at it and may the Lord be with you!
I'll Volunteer! I'll be that gullible friend. :D

Back