• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identify a vintage flintlock blunderbuss pistol/short rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAandJ

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, any information you may have would be appreciated. If you need better or more pictures, let me know. The previous owner told me it was either French or British made from the 18th century. Approximate length: 18in. I personally have very little knowledge on these vintage firearms.

Attachments

• IMG_9040.JPG
    IMG_9040.JPG
    114.2 KB
  • IMG_9046.JPG
    IMG_9046.JPG
    129.4 KB
  • IMG_9047.JPG
    IMG_9047.JPG
    122.4 KB
  • IMG_9048.JPG
    IMG_9048.JPG
    145.5 KB
  • IMG_9049.JPG
    IMG_9049.JPG
    127.4 KB
  • IMG_9051.JPG
    IMG_9051.JPG
    159 KB
A picture of the top of the barrel may reveal some additional barrel decoration. I lean towards the "tourist" piece also. The crude engraving and overall parts fit doesn't scream authentic to me.

You have an Ottoman blunderbuss. Sometimes loosely referred to as a "knee pistol". While they likely developed at sometime in Europe, they were never popular in the European Continent or North America. However, for some reason they remained extremely popular throughout the Ottoman Empire up through the 3rd Quarter of the 19th Century. Which is the likely reason there are many surviving examples available today. Your's was probably made at one of the many gun making centers in the Balkans anywhere from about 1800-1880. Flintlocks were still in wide use in that part of the world. These were assembled with either imported European parts or locally made items, or in combination. There are no two exactly alike (unless built as a pair). They can be either plain or highly decorated, and everywhere in between. While there are crude, "tourist" copies of this style, I believe your's is legit. Nice looking, simple piece.
Here is another example for comparison:

Rick
DSC00253 (Medium).JPG

Back