• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kliknpoof

Pilgrim
Reaction score
34" barrel,49" overall lenght, octagon bore, small caliber possible 32. Octagon outside. Markings ontop of barrel in front of rear sight "Hawken 1812". Initial on lock "AK". Brass trigger gaurd, buttplate and thimble.
Trying to identify and get a ballpark value. Any help appreciated!!
Gun015.jpg

Gun010.jpg

Gun009.jpg

Gun008.jpg

Gun004.jpg

Gun003.jpg

Gun014.jpg

It seems that this was made by Andrew Kopp. Anyone have any information about him that I'm not finding on the internet. OR can anyone let me know where to verify this info.

The markings on the lock appear to be a worn "A. Kopp" and the inlay was identified on another site as being his also.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Kopp, born 1782, died 1875. He did very fine work a true master of the Ky. rifle. IF, this is a A. Kopp, then it was built late in his life, because it is a far cry from his early work. Look in the Kindig book. As for the Hawken on the barrel, I think someone is blowing smoke. AL

It looks like the muzzlecap is poured???? That seems kind of strange for a longrifle. Also, it appears that the entry pipe may have been replaced. Why else would there be such a large gap along both sides of the entry pipe? Also, why the different markings on the barrel and the lock plate?

Hi,

My name is Mark Kopp and this is, indeed, an Andrew Kopp rifle, manufactured near Hollidaysburg, PA. Andrew Kopp is my great, great, great, great Grandfather. We have several Kopp rifles, including a George Kopp rifle, made by Andrew's son. You rifle is a very nice example of their fine workmanship. Please note the eagle engraving. They had their own unique eagle engraving.

Mark

I'm not sure how common poured muzzlecaps were but I have one on an as yet unidentified longrifle. The molten metal "bedded" the last couple inches of barrel.(sorry no pics, dialup land here)Jim

Back