• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help On Storing Lubed Conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I cast up several 100 Maxis in 50 and 54. I've been saving my empty yellow T/C Maxi cases for years but have come up way short of what I need. I placed a want ad here but am not surprised that I've gotten no response. Right now I have them in zip lock bags separated by weight. I want to lube them all and store them more securely in cases that will keep each maxi separate much like the orig T/C cases/boxes. I've searched various ML and modern sights incl reloading and haven't found what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms or maybe I need to make my own out of something. I'm sure I'm not the first to need something like this so what have younz found or used?

Yes Pietro, I've had lubed REAL's go from soft lubed to dry crumbling lubed over extended storage times with some lubes.

Don’t lube them before storage, not only can the lube dry but the lead can react to the lube. I’ve experienced this myself.

I have seen lube in various level of drying out. Old Hornady Great Plains (?) bullets looked like they were covered in mortar. T/C's Maxi's anywhere from perfect to flaky to crumbling. I had hoped that my beeswax, veg oil and lanolin would hold up better and so far it has but not long enough to know long term. But I came here asking for advice and you gents seem unanimous in your opinion/knowledge so I will heed it. Lube as I go. Thanks gents.

I used to carry lubed bullets (for a bench gun I had at the time) in plastic boxes intended to carry pistol cartridges. The .38 cal bullets fit nicely in boxes made for the .357 mag. As long as you don't drop them (DAMHIKT), the boxes work well. Fifty cal maxis should fit in a box made for the .500 S&W, not sure about the .54s.

Back