• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help tuning lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyP

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I have a dillema, my lock seems to be dulling flints really quickly. This is my first flintlock. It is an Indian made (Access Heritage) NW trade gun. So far the gun is a tack driver, that is when it goes off. The frizzen throws good sparks when it does and the flints are freshly sharpened. When I first got it, I could get it to go off once or twice before having to sharpen it. I did some reading and angled the flint downward but still was having the issues. Got a scale and the hammer pulled back at 18lbs and the middle of the frizzen at 11lbs. I polished and sanded down the cam on the frizzen just barely and at the middle of the frizzen it is now flipping at 7lbs. The gun now goes off about 7 to 8 times before having to resharpen it (flints are from ToW). All of that is to ask, should I keep polishing the cam? Should I mess with the frizzen spring? I am adding pictures so yall can see the lock geometry. Any help is appreciated!
20240928_192625.jpg
20240928_192805.jpg

Your geometry doesn't look too bad, but judging from the gouges on the frizzen it looks like it may be a little soft. If you try to file the face does it skate off or scratch the face?

Your geometry doesn't look too bad, but judging from the gouges on the frizzen it looks like it may be a little soft. If you try to file the face does it skate off or scratch the face?

UPDATE: Took a file to it this morning and it skates off it, can't get it to dig in the frizzen face. I also learned something important, I took a slow mo video this morning and frame by frame played it back and the frizzen is bouncing back and whacking the edge of my flint.

Back