• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need help with loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beartrap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of loads i should use in my .54 GPR flintlock, i have been shooting 80gr. ffg goex and this is about 1-2" group at 50 yards but what kind of velocity will this give me? it is about 1 foot low and 8-10" group at 100 yards, pillow ticking patches .530 rb. they are a little tight to get down the barrel, is this normal?? what load will give me the best results for accuracy and be big enough for moose, elk and bear. hopefully someone on this forum will be able to help me as i am all alone up here with no one to shoot with and learn from or compare notes with. how high can i load this gun? What is a good hunting load for these animals? how would mini or maxi balls work? would they harm the barrel?

i have been shooting 80gr. ffg goex and this is about 1-2" group at 50 yards but what kind of velocity will this give me? it is about 1 foot low and 8-10" group at 100 yards,

IMHO.....Sounds like the shooter. Bench the rifle with sand bags. 1-2" at 50 yards = 8-10" at 100 yds ? I don't think so...... Should actually be at the most 3-5" at the most on the 100 yrd groups, without shooter error.

Bench the rifle with sand bags & shoot the smallest dot you can clearly see. Make sure the rifle is doing what it should first, then work on you. You need your sights set about 2" high at 50 yards to be within reason at 100 yards. Or 1" high at 75 yards & that would be On at 100 yards.

As for the load, I have shot up too 100 grains of FF in my GPR, but the best grouping is at 65-75 grains for me. I shoot a .535 round ball, .015 pillow ticking or Oxjoke patch & my own Birddog6 patch grease. For the elk I think I would be on the upper end of the scale with it if will group decent & tighter ball/patch combo if you can load it. You might try a dif. lube & patch & see if it groups better also. It is amazing how much dif a lube or patch can sometimes make.......... Sometimes a .005 larger ball or .002 or .003 patch is the key....

As for velocity, I seldom concern myself with it. Velocity means nothing if you can't hit the spot......... However, for a big animal such as elk or tough animal such as a hog, I would think penetration is a must thus velocity could be a factor here. I would want to stay on the heavy end of the scale to acquire such..

Note: Some guys are shooting 75-85 grains of 3F in their GPR in .54 cal. That is a increase in velocity & mine shoots 1" higher at 75 yards with 75 grains of 3F vs. the same load in 2F. I don't normally use 3F in mine as I don't like the increased breech/chamber pressure.

Newhouse Mini or maxi ball won't hurt your rifel but if it has a slow twist like 1 in 66 inches accuracy won't be good most likely. My GPR has a 1 in 66 inch twist. I am still trying to get it to group at 50 yds. Some say they shoot better with higher end loads? On an other post some one suggested using his GPR for a tomato stake. :winking: Rocky

1 " - 2" groups at 50 yards will "gitterdone". Try shooting at 100 yards on a fresh day when you don't have eye fatigue. My .54 GPR (dare I say "percussion") likes 100 grains of 2f or 3f, .535 ball and wonder-lubed pillow ticking. I'm getting 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" groups at 50 yards. It will also group as well with 110 grains 2f. These loads are a little more stout and I wouldn't hesitate to take it elk hunting within reasonable roundball distances, say 75 yards. Used .530 balls for the first 200 rounds or so, then the bore seemed to lose up a tad so went to the .535 balls. A tight fit is good, but not TOO TIGHT: you don't want to deform the ball getting it down. :m2c:

According to Lyman, your 80 grns of 2fg should be netting you about 1466 fps, 440 fpe at 100 yds.

There would be about an 8" difference in drop from 50 yards to 100 yards according to the Lyman Black Powder Handbook. Naturally conditions and altitude play a part in all this.

I like to zero my hunting rifles in at 2 inches high at 50 yards, and use a six o'clock hold on the lungs at 50 yards. At 100 yards I would use a twelve o'clock hold on the lungs. This seems to work alright for me on deer and antelope. I shoot fixed sights only I might add.

1 and 2 inch groups are not bad at all at 50 yards. I would agree that on your next outing, start out at 100 yards and use an 8" paper plate to shoot at. Aim at twelve o'clock on that paper plate and see what that gets you?

You should try and zero in from the shooting position you feel your most likely to take your shot from. Practice them all, but get one primary shooting position and make that your "best position" while making this part of your hunting routine.

You will find that all the shooting positions, offhand, prone, setting , kneeling, cross sticks, bench, will all have different points of impact on your target. Some not as much as others, but there is a difference.

You'll get to where you need to be, just stay with it. :thumbsup:

I chronographed a couple of loads through a .54 GPR (percussion) recently, all with .530 ball and Oxyoke 0.15 pre-oiled patch. This is a new rifle with approx 100 rounds through it.

55gr Pyrodex RS.......1167 fps
70gr GEOX FFFG........1491
80gr GEOX FFFG........1648

Latest posts

Back