• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need small pins to hold inlays

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
finishing a bedford with thin wood how do I find or make pins or nails to hold inlays, useing silver inlays would like to use steel pins

If you want steel pins, you buy some small brads & flare the heads a tad. If you want G.Silver pin, you make them out of a piece of G.Silver wire in a swedging jig. Do same in jig with copper or brass.

Make them similar to a rivet, except when ya male the swedge block, don't make the countersink so deep for small nails. Then take the nail out & make a point on one end & cut lil barbs on the shank so it will stay in.

Also, there is a guy on the First or second booth, 2nd row left at Friendship when you go into the drive. Flintlocks Inc. ? or something like that. Seems like his name is Eldridge or Etheridge ? He always has small pins/nails of all types.

Keith Lisle

I sometimes fasten them with epoxy.

Rough up the back of the inlay so the glue has something to bite into and glue away.

They stay put.

When the historic society was inventorying Jacob Dickert's shop they found some 5-minute epoxy hidden under the floor boards - so it's HC :rotf:

Seriously though, if you are working with very thin wood underneath, glue works well.

If I were going to pin them, I would still epoxy them with that clear Devcon 2 Ton epoxy or Accraglas them in. I sand the piece to be installed on the back in a X pattern & glue them in, and if going to pin them, do so while glue is wet.

I Guarantee...... the glue will hold more than the lil nails. :thumbsup:

I had to remove a thumbpiece I had Accraglassed in one time, took me 2 hrs to get it out. Ruined the thumbpiece but got it out without damaging the stock. Ended up having to drill & tap it, put a screw in it, heat the thumbpiece & pull it at the same time. Otherwise, I think you would have to break the wrist before it would come out.

Keith Lisle

PS: The copper rivet picture above is what I make to rivet the nosecap on with. And I
Accraglass them on as well, they don't come loose. :shake:

i have glued inlays before 20yrs ago there still holding tight just thought i would try pins to more p/c

Glue can work. But, before I knew better and when Gorilla glue first came on the market, I put in a thumpiece on my Brown Bess. Yuk. :barf: The stuff foamed out the sides and hardened. No way to remove it except chisles. Wadda mess. GG is a big No-No. :shake:

Rifleman1776 said:
Glue can work. But, before I knew better and when Gorilla glue first came on the market, I put in a thumpiece on my Brown Bess. Yuk. :barf: The stuff foamed out the sides and hardened. No way to remove it except chisles. Wadda mess. GG is a big No-No. :shake:

Leave it where the sun will shine on it. I used Gorilla glue on a push broom that I leave on my deck.
I glued the handle to the head, the next summer the glue in it had all turned to dust. :barf:

William Alexander

Latest posts

Back