• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need stock cut down?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tajue17

40 Cal.
Reaction score
anyone know a reputable person who can cut the stock down on my early virginia fowler? I bought this gun already made but the stock is too long for me. it has a butt plate thats inlaid into the top of the stock about 4" up towards the back of the barrel so this is where its going to be tricky. the person who cuts the stock down has to remount the stock. thanks for any info. Ted

Boy that is going to be tricky depending on how far you need it 'cut off'. Usually the buttplate casting has only a limited edge around it and, with the way the buttstock tapers, I think you're gonna get into the 'curved' portion pretty quick. You might have to purchase another, smaller buttplate, if they make one.

I've installed many buttplates and believe me, when you have a blank stock, it's one thing...when there is no extra wood, it's quite another.

You might try Chuck Dixon and see if he will do it or if he knows who will do it. May require narrowing the buttplate some as you have less wood sometimes as you go forward. Another problem is matching the wood stain & finish on the stock . I can't see any way around that part other than trying to match it, as there will be new wood showing.
Dixons Web Site

Latest posts

Back