• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need to get rust out of my bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishboyat

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey all hope yall are in good health, I recently acquired a Thompson Center Arms Omega that had been shot and never cleaned. Don't know any of its history. I have used soapy water with baking soda (I oiled the bore with lucas heavy duty gun oil after wards )and lucas bore solvent mixed with T/C Muzzleloader bore cleaner and baking soda to make a abrasive compond with a Brass Bore brush and theirs still a thin layer of rust that's redish brown
20240926_052004.jpg
20240926_051920.jpg
(I think) in the Bore Im also going to paint the barrel with Brownells aluma hyde II. I'm stumped and any advice would help

Really and truly we are talking about cleaning up a bore and not any unmentionable........

From your first picture I will say it looks like you have most/all of the loose rust out and any further cleaning will yield minimal results. The pits will be there forever without a freshening/rebore.

Go shoot it, several times 15-20 or more at a target and see what it does, then clean it and you will know whether to keep it or buy a better gun.

Cut a square of scotchbrite pad and put it over an under size jag. Use a light oil, WD-40 is fine. Scrub til you're happy.

Don't worry too much, you'd be surprised how well a rough bore can shoot. Probably not national match accurate, but definitely minute of deer.

Hey all hope yall are in good health, I recently acquired a Thompson Center Arms Omega that had been shot and never cleaned. Don't know any of its history. I have used soapy water with baking soda (I oiled the bore with lucas heavy duty gun oil after wards )and lucas bore solvent mixed with T/C Muzzleloader bore cleaner and baking soda to make a abrasive compond with a Brass Bore brush and theirs still a thin layer of rust that's redish brownView attachment 351183 View attachment 351184(I think) in the Bore Im also going to paint the barrel with Brownells aluma hyde II. I'm stumped and any advice would help
Hey all, Thank you for taking your time and giving me advice. I will most likely use 0000
Steel wool or a Big 45 pad along with evapo rust. And if that dosent work well enough, I'll use a valve lapping compound. Once I get the supplies to do these things I will update yall.

Cut a square of scotchbrite pad and put it over an under size jag. Use a light oil, WD-40 is fine. Scrub til you're happy.

Don't worry too much, you'd be surprised how well a rough bore can shoot. Probably not national match accurate, but definitely minute of deer.
Heck this is my first Firearm I doubt I could even hit a 12×18 target at 25 yards but anyways thanks for the advice

Really and truly we are talking about cleaning up a bore and not any unmentionable........

From your first picture I will say it looks like you have most/all of the loose rust out and any further cleaning will yield minimal results. The pits will be there forever without a freshening/rebore.

Go shoot it, several times 15-20 or more at a target and see what it does, then clean it and you will know whether to keep it or buy a better gun.
Yeah I sure hope I won't have to buy another I have Flys coming out of my wallet

Back