• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need to get rust out of my Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a post I made back Aug. 29th. The bath isn't as hard on the metal as vapor rust and it is amazing. Citric acid from Amazon the other components from any store. No real soak time required less than an hour. Better to not let it stand in the barrel unlike Vapor rust. ZEE
Dang, that's pretty useful to know thank you

Since it is not a closed end barrel

tie a cloth or steel wool or something on a long string, run the string through the barrel, pulley on one end, drive pulley on the other hooked to electric drill

tie both ends together

put your compound on the cloth or steel wool and set it up so it can pull it through the barrel, go around the pulley and then you can just watch it clean and polish

should be fun not tedious
Yeah that would be fun to see thank you for the idea

Most of the stuff mentioned here will work on the surface rust and shallow pits. I've read on this forum over the years that many have barrels that look like old gas pipe but shoot incredibly well. Get the surface stuff off so it looks better to you and then go shoot it and see how it performs.
Yeah I'll get around to shooting it here soon thanks for the reassurance

Valve grinding compound will remove the high spots, might smooth edges on some of the pitting but pits will remain. Accuracy may be fine, but pitting will hold onto fouling and crud will build up. Still a shooter but swabbing every few shots may be required.
Yeah I figured fouling and all would be an issue I'll probably look into using valve lapping compound seeing that so many people have had success with it

Go to the car parts store and get the valve grinding compound. I use the two part with course and fine pastes. Get a smaller jag and some green scratch pads, cut a small square, put the grinding compound on the square and polish away. I check after 200 strokes with each to see how much more is needed.
I'll keep this in mind if I do have to use valve lapping compound. Thank you

Back