• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need your help with a .32 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys,
I ordered a .32 cal Crockett Traditions 1:48 and will have it by Friday. I was wondering if you had any input/load info you wouldn't mind sharing.

Also very interested in any very light loads, below 10grs etc. of fffg etc. for shooting starlings, sparrows at close range?

I have been fighting with ' which caliber' .32 or .36! I already have a round ball molds for the .32 and have been shooting them out of my rifles. I am very happy with the performance of the .311 balls on game up to 20lbs+ (some gobblers were over 20lbs).

Thanks for your help
Harpy

My step son bought one of these and I have worked with it extensively (terrifying experience!!). There are some points to look out for.

1. There was no half cock position on the lock. There was a half cock platform but no notch that would hold the hammer position stable or safe. If you pulled the trigger hard the hammer would fall with enough force to pop the cap. I had to grind a proper notch to hold the sear nose properly.

2. This gun has a patent breech plug. You will have to be careful with reduced loads to insure that you fill the cavity in the plug and have the ball resting on powder rather than an air pocket when it is seated on the end of the patent breech. I have not reduced the charge below 15 grains in the rifle I am using. Might be able too, I just haven't tried. 30 grains pyrodex P seems to be the load it likes at 25 yards.

3. The pint sized channels through the nipple and patent brech seem to clog constantly. I had continuious misfires and was forced to pull the nipple and dribble powder into the breech twice in the first 12 shots I attempted. I was using both pyrodex P and Goex 3f. I wound up relieving the channel through the breech, changing to a modified nipple and venting the drum.

4. The triggers are TERRIBLE!! They are self contained units made from pot metal that are working against the force of some of the ceapest lock parts available on the face of the earth. The pulls are not hard, but they are long, creepy and fell like a handful of sand is in the works.

Now after listing all of the gripes I must say that this has become one of my favorite shooters in the house. All of the problems were cured in one rainy Saturday afternoon when I was looking for something to keep me out of trouble. The gun is light and well balanced and very accurate, although wind sensitive at any range. On a calm day it will reach out there and do strange things, but you have to look close to catch it.

I thought I was missing the steel gongs at 75 yards. I was actually hitting them with less time lag than I was used too due to the higher velocity of the tiney pill. It wasn't pushing the steel enough for me to see it swinging by the time the smoke cleared. I switched to paper to see if I was actually hitting anything and found that the little gun was making a good group.

Lead is getting hard to find in my area, so getting 175 shots per pound is appealing. I keep thinking about one of those long legged Bedford rifles with a 3/4 inch barrel about 42" long and some good triggers on a decient lock. Winter will be here soon, and I'll need something to keep me busy!

Ghost,
Is the "patent breech plug" similar to the breech found on T/C Firestorms?

Thanks
Harpy

I have no experience with the TC Firestorm. I do not even know what that particular model looks like. The breech I am speaking of has a long projection of the threaded portion that extends into the barrel breech for nearly an inch. This inch long projection is counterbored with a slinder channel that gives the ignition flame access to the main charge. This channel is easily fouled, difficult to clean and dificult to dry when successfully cleared. They were a bad idea 200 years ago and have not improved since then. At least you can scrape a flat faced breech plug clean and clear the vent with relitive ease.

Harpy
I've been using .25 grs. 3fff goex in my traditions
Crochett with ball-ettes with very good success in my
.32 cal. on small game.
I am snake-eyes :)

***patent breech diagram***

patentbreech.jpg

I shoot 25gr Pyro P under the Hornady .310 ball and a .010 patch. Super accurate groups. But, I shoot a Dixie Tenn Mtn rifle with a 1/66 twist.

To this very day I regret selling my T/C Cherokee .32 caliber...

I ran 20 grains of FFFg in it and a .310 ball hugged by a .010 patch.

Nothing like limiting out on fox squirrels with a .32 caliber smoke pole... <<sigh>> :shake:

Someday, I'll get another small bore...

Latest posts

Back